www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Winter Boat Launches

Default Winter Boat Launches

Does anyone know if State Parks or other Parks that have launches maintain them in the Winter? The areas that I hope to fish the next couple of days have had a bit of snow and I am not sure that they plow the launches. Last thing I need to do is put the whole rig into the lake!! LOL

Jay,

The only state park I fish is in NY and they do plow the launch road and launch, at least until ice up. I am not sure about Parks launches in PA but I would assume so.

Along with your new winter fishing gear list, you will want to add a big shovel and bags of salt. I and Toothyfishman have been shoveling/salting our launch for years......not much fun but neither is the alternative. I usually lay the salt down thick after I shovel the nite before so any overnite snow is easier to remove the next morning.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Jay,
    I think Red "roped" me into the winter fishing just so he had another person that was willing to shovel and just hope I beat him there in the morning or the day before....

It is fun in the winter, the fish seem to "Count More" after all you have to go through and deal with.

LOL

Well, I learned quite a few things yesterday in my quest to get a little extra fishing in before the ice. I learned that my "driveway" (its my yard) that goes down into the garage is quite a bit steeper that I thought. And, once you drive up and down it a couple of times, the snow packs into a fantastic little ice slick. So for now, my boat is stuck in the garage. I almost had the vehicle stuck down there too, but was able to get just enough momentum to get back up the hill. LOL There is not much room for error getting that thing outta there. Rock walls on both sides.

I also learned that the road going to Curwensville Lake has no Winter maintenance. I would have needed a heck of a lot of salt for the half mile stretch of road down to the park. LOL Never did get to see the boat launch there.

So, after wasting a couple of hours on the trip to Curwensville boatless, I just had to get some sort of fishing in. I ended up at the good old Little Juniata River with the Flyrod in hand for some trout fishing. I landed a couple and lost a few but was just happy to be out fishing.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!

I've slid my canoe in the snow from the parking lot to the river at the Kinzua Dam parking lot. I guess I'm kind of crazy. Down is no problem.....
    The day I caught my biggest walleye involved a mini hike with the canoe as the local ramp was iced in. Car top boats do have some advantages.

ppalko