www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Weekend Results???

Default Weekend Results???

Well, how did everyone do on the water over the weekend???

Snow removal, snowman construction and honey-do chores kept me occupied both days.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Well, I ended up not taking the boat out this weekend. Instead I decided to take a hike/exploration trip along the Juniata on Sunday. I brought a rod and tackle bag but didn't really need it. I casted a few areas but ran into some issues with the ice buildup in the rod guides. I wasn't expecting the the sub freezing temps but the valleys with no sun got a little chilly. Not even a follow.

The boat might be in for the winter, but there are a couple of streams/rivers near me that I hope to check out.

Red,

On a small river/stream, should I only be looking for the deeper pools at this time of year? Since I will be wading, I am trying to cut down on the mileage that I will be travelling. Do you see much action in the shallow (3-5') at this time of year?

Jay

Deeper water is easier to fish and will hold more fish during winter with the slowing metabolism BUT in my stretch (which is the warmest water in the entire Allegheny River during winter) we can catch fish in 3-10 feet just like during the summer but any fish migrating upriver/upstream will probably winter out in bigger holes because of more food options and less current. Creek mouths with warmer run-offs during snow melt days will fire up as well. Any back channel areas that might have smaller pike, suckers, carp are good as well. There was a 50 incher hit 2 winters ago in a small flooded back channel in 4 feet of water.

The problem with the deeper holes is that you will encounter more icing, especially along the banks making wading tougher. Take some waders along and bust out sections you want to fish.....even a spud bar will work if you are dealing with deeper water that you cannot wade. The nice thing about the waders (Neoprene) is that they float. Might come in handy if you go in over your head!

Good Luck.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Thanks for the info.

I am curious to see if some of the "Musky stories" I have heard around here might be true. One of them I can believe because it involves a good size tributary. But, why does it always seem like the people who are not fishing for Musky see them the most?!?!! LOL

Do you know of any studies that might include whether Musky have a tendency to migrate up-current as opposed to down-current for the spawn? I realize that a lot of other factors come into play, but I have been wondering if they follow the trout/salmon family or make up their own rules when it comes to spawning.

Man, I would LOVE to be able to land just one more before I call it quits for the year!! The downtime over the Winter is going to be brutal this year!! I am already planning my vacation time for Spring!! LOL

From what I have read and experienced in my little world up here is that there seem to be fish that travel and fish that do not. I have seen fish jumping over low head dams (Wisconsin video clip) like a salmon during migration. I tend to think that if muskies are going to move to spawning locations, they are headed up-stream/river. They do not have the same urge to return to the exact location of conception (or where they were stocked as fingerlings) like a fish from the salmonoid family.

Something I have to consider around here is that if a fish migrates upriver during the late-Fall and Winter, those fish are heading to warmer water due to the influence of the Kinzua Dam outflow. During Springtime, the inverse is true so I am not 100 percent confident if they are migrating because of the warmer water or a genetic response to environmental changes. We get migrations of walleye/sauger/saugeye from as far South as Pittsburgh because I have caught all 3 sub-species within 2-4 miles of the Dam.

I would love to tag my fish and see what I could learn on my own but according to one PFBC employee, it is illegal. Tagging a fish would not be considered "releasing the fish unharmed" as stated in the rule book.

The guy who got me pointed in the right direction in regards to musky fishing has been tagging his fish for years down in Virginia. He and his friends have caught some of those tagged fish miles away from the initial catch and tag area but some were caught close to the original location.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 11-26-2008 at 07:21 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I've read a little bit talking about how the muskies run upstream in the spring and the fall and can be concentrated in areas like dams due to the obstruction. I agree with Red that it's for the increase in water temperatures but also increased dissolved oxygen, and baitfished get stacked there too. Very similar to smaller creeks entering, these seem to be rest areas for fish during these times. I enjoy fishing through the whole year, especially this time of the year. Something about being in fresh snow with green water to the top of the banks, and seeing fish come out of it following your lure right up towards your rod tip...and WHAM!! It's a beautiful thing!! I had two follows Saturday by muskies in the 30" range and caught a fat 32" pike on my newest color pattern, the carpsucker.

Very interesting.

I do have a couple of dams on the waters that I will be fishing this Winter. I'll definitely spend some time there.

After hearing you guys talk about the Winter fishing, I think I am going to have to upgrade my cold weather gear and look back through the info about keeping the equipment from freezing up. I am just not ready to stop learning about these fish for the year. I just canceled my travel plans for Thanksgiving to get some fishing in with decent weather. Plus, looks like the New Moon is is due tomorrow. I think I'll give the lakes one last try before the ice.