www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Thoughts on trolling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You would be surprised how many fingers and rock piles you contact when up close on a steep wall.

I use wire and I think just about everyone else around here does. The only guys that I know use fluorocarbon on the lake are fishing deeper, clearer water up north.

I'm sure Darren will chime in on his "special" trolling leader design.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

Default Trolling leaders

3 years ago Carol and I started to experament on leaders, we run about 40" on 90# test 7 strand wire. On her leader we added a #6 silver colorado blade about 12" up from the bait, well the first 5 fish that where caught trolling was on here rod did not mater if she was on the inside or outside. Well then I thought to put on mine and I also started to have my rod go off, Brain refused to try one on he ended up catching 3 fish trolling for the 2 weeks well we boated 19. Was it because of the blades or not? The next year he also run a spinner and ended up catching 10 with 2 of them being over 50 on the middle rod. Now I try to run some deep water at times with a big beliver 25 to 30 ft. with 2 #10 blades on it, have not got nothing yet but also have not put more then 2 hours in on it trying yet. If you look at our video you will also see the blades on the leaders.

Darren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09522.1.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	3264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09521.1.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	3265  

Default Tiller vs. Steering wheel

My opinion on the tiller vs. steering wheel, I know Frankie loves sitting at back with his tiller while I love sitting behind my steering wheel. I am so comfortable there and while you are out there for 8-10 hours you need to be comfortable. I run with my trolling motor down and I use my front graph for my depth that way I have about 18 ft. to turn to either miss a rock (there was only one I slightly bumped with my trolling motor but with that 18 ft. before your rear engine you have time to put it in reverse before its to late)or to make sure our baits hits the inside turn or the tip of the point. I do not think I am at a disadvantage doing it like this and this was a way I was taught by my friend Perry Smith.
    Darren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of DSCF4040.1.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	3266  

Darren,
    I too messed with inline spinner blades starting about 6-7 years ago. Some of the fish I posted of da guys came on a silver single blade on 7-stand about 18 inches up from the Superman 10" Jake. I made up some with two blades and also orange and gold blades. If memory serves me, only the silver seems to work for me.

I used to use both solid steel leaders and 7-strand; the 7-strand seems to allow more action at the bait. Like running them 3-4 feet long as well. I think a few years ago when fishing with Frank, his rods were catching fish and mine (with spinner blade) were not- and I got away from them a bit.

I too like sitting at the wheel for trolling. I know Frank is perfectly comfortable back on the stick, but I like the top up and you are out of the wind behind the windshield. No heaters or NASA plug in suits so every bit helps.

Even made a jointed 10" Jake 3-4 years back. Doesn't troll to good but what a bait for casting.

I troll the Believers but give up on them too quick I think; hardly ever a fish (maybe 1?). Have other baits that get down deeper than the Jakes that get fish when nothing else is working. Sometime when we are both in camp some fall, we should talk and compare baits.

Hey Darren,
    Did you hit the knobs hard this trip? Been hot in past years. Same for the mud/rock edges- you know what I'm talking about.

What has been working real well the past two years is running the dual baits, one being 3 foot up off the three way. Fish come on either bait.

Did you "rev" the baits like you were talkin about doing? That sounded good- just wondering if it caught fish this trip.

That spray that you told me about a few years ago for the lines to keep them from freezing, wow does that stuff work.

We need to get together and catch-up more.

Cool

Yes Dennis the knobs had some fish going mostly small but we did have some bigger fish in the cleavage are, and we moved away from the 3 way system ( not enough baits at one time) and went to a six way system. It was a trick old man Pearson taught us years ago one early Oct. "Rev" the baits did not do to good this year, like ya said what works one year may not work the next. Nothing on mud this year most where on that snake reef and Doppler island, goofy point was also pretty good.
    Darren

I want some of what you two are smoking!
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com