www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky in the Erie Channel

Default Musky in the Erie Channel

I recently heard of a 48" musky being caught a couple weeks ago between the Channel and Gull Point by someone trolling for steelhead. I'm sure they are chowing down on steelhead right now plus any carp, sheephead, perch, and burbot that are around...it's probably like an all you can eat buffet out there right now. I also heard a few musky were caught in the main lake this summer as well off of Crooked and Elk by walleye fishermen.

Mark,

Where exactly is that location?? East or West of Walnut Creek??
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red,
    This is east of Walnut and on the east side of Erie. It is the area immediately outside the channel from Presque Isle Bay to the lake. Alot of steelhead anglers troll NNE out of the channel once they get into the main lake towards the tip of the peninsula...Gull Point area...then back towards the channel.

I have heard about the guys trolling the "channel" but did not know where it was. I think I have actually fished it before (with my partner) but did not know where the heck I was.

Thanks.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

We troll the channel at the bay when we get a chance. It is the main shipping channel that enters into Lake Erie between the north and south piers. Trolling it not advised between the main peirs, we have done it, but heard the Coast Guard will chew you ass out. You can get away with it during the spring and fall when the boat traffic is at is lowest. We mainly troll out to the second bouy and back thru the entire area. Most of the time the screen is just full of fish. We know that there is Muskys hanging out there and they must be having a field day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 008.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	3195  
    Last edited by Punch and Judy; 11-19-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    CPR <*{{{><
    Matt and Judy

Yes, the Coast Guard will jump on you for fishing between the piers. It always seems like the bass boats are hugging that north wall closest to the bay side and never seem to get kicked out...and that's right next to the CG station! My grandfather and his buddies always used to fish for musky off the Hammermill plant years ago. The warm water discharge kept carp, catfish, sheephead, etc. stacked up especially in the early spring and I am sure the musky were right there with them. Of course the discharge is gone now along with the plant.

Musky and Pike have been caught this fall in the channel, just outside the channel, and inside the bay off the south shore. Mid forties is the biggest I've heard. All caught on standard sized spoons and J-11 sized body baits by steelhead trollers.

I have been trolling for Steel in all of those areas and always run a couple Legend Perch in the prop wash for toothy critters. No bites yet on the toothy critters but the steelies have been fun. Catching the steelies on weighted spoons and j-9's run behind little Church boards. Green, Pink, or orange are the colors to run.

Red, I even had Mark out and he caught some steelhead ... he was like can we put more musky baits out all day. We ran some of his 16 inch baits which looked like little steelhead.

I'm sure we will see you at the Brick this winter. Good luck on your charters Red!

Ralph

We will be heading out for one last trolling run at the bay on Sunday before the hard water starts. Just got of the phone with the Coast Guard at Erie and you are aloud to troll the channel between the north and south piers, just no anchor fishing is aloud. Might have a open seat if somebody wants to jump in.
    CPR <*{{{><
    Matt and Judy