www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice over ?

Default Ice over ?

We'll be coming up to do some deer hunting opening weekend. I usually pack a rod or two along for the trip. If it starts to ice over can someone keep me informed?

Default Its starting

The flowage is starting to ice over. The bays are all iced in and most of the main body has a thin layer of ice. The temps this morning were single digits and no wind. It should be making ice all day today. The long range weather forcast looks like it will not get above freezing.
    The Tiny Fisherman...<*){{{{><

Default What to bring?

I guess I'll have to bring everything this weekend.
    boat,tip-ups,fishin poles,deer rifle.
    sounds like the perfect weekend to me

Default Snow?

Heard there was a bunch of snow in the snow belt lately. Any of it hit the flowage? Not good for making ice.

Default Maybe good ice after all

Hey Pete, your still kicking! Anyway, the Flowage opened up again with all the high winds. Some bays are sill froze over and have snow on them. There isn't as much snow as they predicted, but this afternoon maybe different. See you and repeat later in the week at the boat landing.

Default Pray For Cold

Hey Tiny. Good to see you here again too! Hopefully the bay by the boat landing is still froze over. You can bet we will be there to check it out tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully we run into you. Maybe there is enough ice to put the shack out at the landing?

Default Fishing Report

Fished last Saturday afternoon right out from the Sportsman's landing. Caught one small walleye and two perch. 2.5" ice. Fished Sunday afternoon same spot. One hammerhandle northern and a 17" walleye. 3" of ice. Couple other flags both days. Back at it this weekend. Was it cold enough this past week so far to make good ice?

Smile Ice conditions?

I was wondering if anyone went out lately, if so how thick is the ice?
    Last edited by MarkMik1; 12-02-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Smile

Was out this past weekend, Friday and Saturday, and ended up with about 15-20 total walleyes. 10 keepers (14" +) with the biggest being 20". Fished off Fisherman's Landing with 2-3" of ice on Friday and about 3-4" Saturday. Was off shore about 50-75 yards from any where between 3-12' deep. All in all, a good weekend with the guys.

Default Ice is good

Hey Pete,

That was us at the boat landing Sunday eveing, the 23rd. Sorry we didn't walk our, but we were wore out from hunting.

As of Sunday the 30th, there was about six inches of good ice out in front of our place. We did catch a few nice walleyes during the week and some small ones too. One of our boys had a nice musky up to the hole, but it broke the line on the hole.

I suppose you guys will be moving your shack out this coming weekend.

Hi Tim

I saw you there and knew it was you. I had just caught a 17" walleye (the only one of the day) and was going to walk over but you left. Don't worry, we will meet up again i'm sure.

We fished last Friday straight out from the Sportsman's landing on the channel side of that island. Fishing was very slow. Think we caught five walleye, with none being over 14".

Fished on Smith Lake Sat and Sun with about the same results. We caught four walleye Sat, two being 16". Sun we got a nice 25" northern and no walleyes. Hopefully the fishing will pick up, but early ice is usually the best for us.

Did you get any deer? Report sounds bad.

Shack out next weekend. Going to the St. Paul Ice Fishing Show this weekend.

Peter

As of Dec 7th there was about 5 inches of ice. I thought there would be more with all the cold weather, but it is what it is.....

Default snow cover

Heading up this weekend. for a mix of hunting and ice fishing. What is snow depth on the flowage?

Connor:
    Not sure if you mean depth of snow on the ice or the ground. On the ground it's about 5". On the ice there has been blowing of the snow; it varies from bare ice to a couple inches.....

Thanks Randy
    I meant on the ice. Wanted to know if ice depth would continue to grow.