www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 8/23

Default 8/23

We expected fishing to be very tough after the huge (and unfortunate) changes in river levels and temperatures on Sunday. If the water fluctuations weren’t bad enough, the Conewango is bringing large amounts of mud into the river as well. We were confined to the 8.6 mile stretch between the dam and Warren. Our goal was to catch a pike or musky. After several hours with zero action, our goal was to simply see any signs of life from a fish longer than 12 inches. We did find a small pod of minnows hanging around some flooded bushes but still no sight of any adult fish. It was like fishing in the desert.

At the very end of the day, we made one last stop at a place I rarely ever fish because at this point, we needed something to get the skunk out of the boat. 45 minutes later, we netted our first bowfin measuring 24.5”. That was it for the day and the skunk was gone. I sure am glad we did not need to catch our lunch or supper yesterday.

River temps were 66-67 after topping out at 74-ish the day before. I will likely head to Tionesta or Chautauqua this week while the river settles down as it looks like more rain is on the way.

Good luck and stay tuned!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    We expected fishing to be very tough after the huge (and unfortunate) changes in river levels and temperatures on Sunday. If the water fluctuations weren’t bad enough, the Conewango is bringing large amounts of mud into the river as well. We were confined to the 8.6 mile stretch between the dam and Warren. Our goal was to catch a pike or musky. After several hours with zero action, our goal was to simply see any signs of life from a fish longer than 12 inches. We did find a small pod of minnows hanging around some flooded bushes but still no sight of any adult fish. It was like fishing in the desert.

At the very end of the day, we made one last stop at a place I rarely ever fish because at this point, we needed something to get the skunk out of the boat. 45 minutes later, we netted our first bowfin measuring 24.5”. That was it for the day and the skunk was gone. I sure am glad we did not need to catch our lunch or supper yesterday.

River temps were 66-67 after topping out at 74-ish the day before. I will likely head to Tionesta or Chautauqua this week while the river settles down as it looks like more rain is on the way.

Good luck and stay tuned!
    That's a cool catch! I have yet to hook a bowfin. Is it worth trying to specifically target them or are the more of a novelty bycatch?

After seeing that fish attack a Subwalk and the ensuing fight, I would not hesitate targeting them at all. At first glance, we both thought it looked like a Rainbow, then we thought catfish without the whiskers and then I saw the rear section and knew it was a bowfin. There is an area on the river that keeps them around during the summer months and a few locals target them but I always drive past it because there isn’t much else there but carp.

The funny part was once we get her in the net and ready for pics, I could not gill her like a musky nor did I want to lip her like a bass cuz of the teeth situation. The gills were locked down and impossible to get open with my fingers. So, I did the “hoagie” lift out. Very slimy fish as well!

Fun facts……The gills did not need to move like other fish because they can breathe atmospheric air via their swim bladder which allows them to tolerate very low Oxygen levels. They can burrow themselves into the mud and survive for weeks if their habitat dries up. Very likely the most pre-historic freshwater fish I will ever encounter.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com