www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Extremely low river levels on the way.

Default Extremely low river levels on the way.

The ACE has dropped the outflow discharge to 1300 and will lower to 750 on Halloween. 750cfs will be the lowest I have seen in many years and will make travel impossible for most boaters.

It appears with the recent rains near Pittsburgh and with many reservoirs already super low, the ACE decided to slow the bleeding for Kinzua.

Be careful out there!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    The ACE has dropped the outflow discharge to 1300 and will lower to 750 on Halloween. 750cfs will be the lowest I have seen in many years and will make travel impossible for most boaters.

It appears with the recent rains near Pittsburgh and with many reservoirs already super low, the ACE decided to slow the bleeding for Kinzua.

Be careful out there!
    My Dad fished the reservoir on Tuesday. He's 67 years old and has never seen it that low since they built the dam. Some old structure in the way of foundations and road beds are visible so it could be a good time to ride up and jump on shore with a hand held gps and waypoint some structure. Certainly be careful with a prop boat especially if you get up into the NY section. He said there is no chance of launching out of Onoville and even getting in and out of Willow Bay with a 17' Boston Whaler with a 90HP prop was touch and go.
    Tight lines.

There will likely be some artifact hunters prowling the shorelines this Fall/Winter. About 22-24 years ago, the Rez was super low and I remember hearing about folks cashing in on free lures and arrowheads along the shorelines.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

River is running at 662 cfs today.

Be careful out there!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

It has been years since the last time the river dropped that low. I seem to recall a fall during the early nineties where it was running at 700 cfs for some time. I watched a jet operator attempt to hammer up through the riffle into the Warren dredge. They ground to a halt in 3 inches of water. Smallmouth remained active that year well into December. The lack of fish in general is a disturbing trend. Water temps have to be on average trending higher into the fall in recent years. A few years ago we commented on poor fishing due to insane high flows so obviously a tailwater fishery is beholden to the discharge from the dam and weather. I've largely stopped making numerous trips to the Warren area for a variety of reasons but last year in my few trips the fishing in general seemed to be an improvement from previous years. I had a successful (but brief) trout trip this summer for the first time in years. I was holding hope that the fishery was in general doing better.

Well, I don't like such unstable conditions about levels of river. Talking about fishing and all the stuff, that you need to bring with you for such activity, I know at least one good and informative website called Fishstainable.com, with plenty of useful articles, where they can share useful tips and tricks, or compare different items or goods for fisherman.
    Last edited by loganz73; 11-09-2020 at 08:00 AM.