www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 10/12 Esox Hunt

Default 10/12 Esox Hunt

We could not get a musky in the net but we had a low-40’s buzz the tower and netted 2 beautiful pike in the 35-38” range and a jumbo smallie. The wind howled on us for most of the day with some nice overcast skies. The bite is still waaaaaay off right now and not sure why.

Water temps are still holding in the 61-62 range and the water is unseasonably clear. The algae bloom that usually comes thru during the lower gate “switchover” this time of year has not been present yet.

Stay tuned and good luck!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Nice job on the Pike. Over the last couple of years, I've started to appreciate that size Pike a lot more. The waters that I fish with them aren't known for monster Pike, so when I get them in that size range, I know that I'm finding some of the bigger Pike in the lake. I'd love to get some in the 40+ inch range, but I think they are about as rare as a 50" Musky around here.

Its funny that you mention the bite being off. I've been able to make a couple of short trips over the last couple of weeks and have been surprised by the lack of action. I'm not even seeing many fish. I've been focusing on weeds and bait but just can't seem to find the toothy critters along with them. I plan to try and get out during the big temperature drop on Friday. Any other time, I would try to avoid that kind of thing, but I don't have much to lose at this point. LOL If nothing else, hopefully the cooldown will get things rolling afterward.

Good luck.

Jay

It sure has been strange for sure, Jay. Even most of the live bait guys I talk to say the bite has been tougher since mid-summer. The best plan seems to be dropping anchor and waiting for your bites in fishy spots. Whatever has been going on, we are at the mercy of the fish. Just gotta keep grinding (intelligently) and capitalize on the bites you do get. Optimism tells me it will change soon especially as more fish move upriver into Kinzua country.

Good luck out there!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com