www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: 7/5........1/2 day musky hunt

Default 7/5........1/2 day musky hunt

It was just me and the girls out this morning chasing muskies. After missing 1 hot fish at boatside, Diane sealed the deal an hour later on a different fish. It was the first fish (other than a bluegill) she had ever caught! She had no idea what she had just accomplished until we kept telling her over and over again how rare they were. I am suppose to get a photo sometime today but that doesn’t always happen as often as I like.

Water was stained in several areas as a result of last nite’s rain.

Good luck and stay tuned!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Thats awesome Red!! Congrats to all involved. Thats quite a jump going from a bluegill to a musky. Who knows, maybe she is one of those people who just has a knack for catching. My oldest brother is like that. I swear he could pull a fish out of a mud puddle. LOL

When the fish ate her bait, she stopped reeling because she thought she was “snagged or something” so she just froze the rod. As I am getting ready to take the boat over to the “snag”, I noticed the line was slowly moving toward the boat so I grabbed the rod and felt the fish. I handed it back to her and told her to start reeling! As soon as the fish felt pressure, she started jumping like a tarpon. A very memorable experience for all parties involved.

On a side note......Over the years of hooking fish and handing the rod to someone else, It is kinda cool how you can hook up with a musky and then immediately back off the pressure long enough to get the rod into someone’s hands without taking all the fight out if the fish. 99% of the time, they will just slowly swim until some pressure is applied. Then, it is game on. (I would certainly not advise this technique for people who want the best odds of netting a musky.)
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Thats fantastic. Definitely sounds like a great experience to have burned into memory.

Thats interesting. Maybe something to think about when I find myself in one of those funks where I can't seem to get a decent hook set no matter what I do.