www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Group Site preferences?

Default Group Site preferences?

Hi all - have been fishing and camping on the flowage for about 5 years now, and have camped at a lot of the "R" sites, but due to the size of group we will have this year (7 people minimum), I was hoping to get some inside info on the group sites. I searched this forum and found some older info, under the old numbering system, and wasn't sure if any group sites changed after the tornado.

We will have two adults (me and my buddy), and 5 kids ranging in age from 16 to 7. A mix of tents and hammocks. A decent beach area would be great if any of the sites have that, but we'll be close enough to Swimmer's to make the run if that's what the kids want to do.

So - any thoughts on the best group sites? I realize all the reservable ones are clustered together, and there won't be a ton of difference, but figured someone here would have some experiences/preferences to share.

Thanks in advance!

When will you be camping? Typically things change a lot late summer when the water levels drop.

There are two non-reservable group sites. One (G2) is near the clusters of reservable sites on big island but just south of them. The other (G1) is on the east-central part of the flowage and is typically referred to as "redeye bay" I believe. I have stayed at both many times.

G1 is the nicer site. It is actually the nicest on the lake in my view, but the bay its in is muddy and swimming isn't the best. If you head around the corner into horseshoe lake, there is a decent beach area on the north shore. You would look for two big rocks out in the water. In between the two rocks is a nice sandy area to swim. If the lake is at full pool there wouldn't be more than a couple feet of dry sand but as the water drops that increases obviously. Watch the wind of course, as horseshoe lake gets choppy. As you said, swimmers isn't far either.

G2 is also nice and probably a better bet for swimming right off the campsite. I just don't like it as much as G1.

The reserve sites are in two clusters. Each cluster of three has a great outhouse (which G1 and G2 lack). The south group is maybe nicer for camping but the north group would be better for swimming probably.

Another option would be to grab two spots close together. R22 and F13 are just over a hill from one another and have a trail between them. F13 is nice and has a sandy beach right off the site.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Thanks yodel3, that's exactly what I was looking for. We'll be up in late June. I was aware of the non-reservable group sites, but wasn't sure how risky it would be to show up and hope one is open. In your experience, do they tend to get occupied any more or less than the normal (non-group) sites?

Well, that's the tricky thing. It's impossible to say. I guide groups of kids on the flowage regularly and I often reserve a site just in case. If I don't use it because G1 is open, then I consider it a donation. It's not fun to watch the sun start going down while you desperately look for a site.

My guess as to my experience with G1 is probably 75 percent chance I will get it on a weekday but far less on a weekend. G2 is less competitive but you never know. reserving is the only sure thing.

Do the kids all belong to one of you? I would have to check but I believe you can exceed 6 on the F sites if it's all one immediate family plus one friend at most. There is a rule but I can't remember exactly.

Here is the rule on the F and R sites:

"These sites are limited to a single camping party only. A single camping party consists of an individual, a family (parents, dependent children, and not more than two guests), or a group not exceeding six unrelated persons."

So perhaps you wouldn't need a group site.