www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Musky Nets

Default Musky Nets

All,

I am looking to buy another net this year. I have used a Beckman basically since I started chasing these crazy beasts and have been happy with them. However, I have been looking at the Drifter Predator nets and they seem to be another good option. Does anyone have any experience with them? I will be fishing solo quite a bit, so being able to handle the net alone is a big deal for me. Thanks.

Jay

Until last year, we always had our Frabil Big kahuna in the boat. With getting a new (lower to the water) boat last year, I wanted a smaller net. We got a Drifter Predator and it has been good. The bag material is similar to the Frabil, which I have always liked. The yoke on the Frabil is easier but the Drifter yoke is no different than a Beckman really. I don't net all the fish we catch, and I still carry the Frabil on big fish Canadian trips, but we put a 50" and a 51" in the Drifter last year. It should be a good net for you too, but I wouldn't think the Drifter is lighter than a Beckman. I haven't used it solo, but my Dad often struggled moving the heavy Frabil through the water. He said the Drifter is much easier for him to handle.
    Last edited by Ivan; 03-01-2019 at 07:21 AM.

I am using the collapsible Stowmaster with the replacement Frabil bag for space saving issues. I am zero help with this question.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Ivan,

Thanks a lot for the reply/info! Glad to hear that the Predator works well for you. At this point I am planning on going that route. Out of curiosity, do you have the Predator XL or the XXL. For my setup, I am looking at the XL unless I find a reason to bump that up. I like the fact that these handles already have a "T" on the end. Makes it easy to rig something up that will hold the net as I deal with the fish. Thanks again.

Jay

Bought two Beckman nets 20 years ago and they will last another 30 years outlasting me. Sturdiest yoke and frame around. Have replaced the netting several times using hook free rubberized net bag from Ranger Products so you don't have to deal with hooks caught in the netting especially at night. Have yet to see a net that is better than a Beckman.

Quote Originally Posted by ttabaleulb View Post
    Ivan,

Thanks a lot for the reply/info! Glad to hear that the Predator works well for you. At this point I am planning on going that route. Out of curiosity, do you have the Predator XL or the XXL. For my setup, I am looking at the XL unless I find a reason to bump that up. I like the fact that these handles already have a "T" on the end. Makes it easy to rig something up that will hold the net as I deal with the fish. Thanks again.

Jay
    We have the XL. The XXL is as big or bigger than the Frabil Big Kahuna we already have. The XL should be plenty big enough. Like I said, we put a couple low 50" fish in it last year without any issues.

Thanks again for the info guys.

My Beckman will continue to be used on my main boat setup. Its still in great shape and will hopefully be around for a very long time. I have a secondary setup that I will be using quite a bit this year that will be in a different location. I decided to pick up a second net so that I won't have to transport the net back and forth. Planning to go with the Drifter Predator XL for that one.