www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Biodiversity in the river

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Biodiversity in the river

When I can't fish in the river I think about the river. I'd gamble many people here share that same passion. The other day I was thinking about the variety of species in the river and and googling articles when I came across this study on Burbot in the river.https://etda.libraries.psu.edu/catalog/9223 I had no idea burbot were still in the watershed. Anyone ever come across one?

The unknown lurking in the river is fascinating to me. What is the strangest/rarest fish you have caught or seen in the river? Maybe my idea of rare isn't rare for other anglers. I'm usually in the Kennerdell to Foxburg area. The strangest for me would be a Mooneye that my Uncle caught while we were using hellgrammites for smallmouth. It was 10-12" and the shiniest fish I have seen in fresh water. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

Other rare fish for me have been a couple of rainbow trout, sunfish and one sickly looking largemouth. I have never encountered in the river: brown trout, gar, perch, sauger, spoonbill, eel, crappie, burbot, sturgeon or bowfin. I believe all of those are or have been in the river historically.

-Greg

My wife caught a Bowfin near Rockland last year. I wasn't with her, but we've caught them at Conneaut before so I know she can identify one. Now I wonder if it was a Burbot or if these are the same fish?

Very cool, Rockland is right around my camp. Would love to run into a Bowfin someday. Was your wife fishing with livebait?

Nope, she was using a musky mayhem showgirl

Thats awesome. I know people get them while fishing for toothies form time to time. Maybe I will run into one someday.

Well, here are some rare-ish species we have caught in this section of river over the years:

Tiger trout (1)
    Sauger (4)
    Saugeye (1)
    Tiger musky (5)
    Paddlefish (1, while musky fishing)
    Atlantic Salmon (1)
    Lake Trout (2)
    Bowfin (1)
    Mud Puppy (1,while musky fishing)
    Gar (1, and haven’t seen one for several years)
    Turtle (1, in the mouth with 1 hook while slow trolling for muskies)
    1 and maybe 2 endangered species of Darters (while catching walleye bait)
    1 big freshwater drum (while trout fishing)

This is all I can remember at the moment.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com