www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: fish on a throwback!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Or just get a temp gauge/probe if you do not want the hassle of installation and price for a graph.

Within these larger, slower moving pools within rivers, some of that water is never forced downriver until the water gets high. This can mean weeks or months sometimes. Most of the current in these big pools are just in the top part of the water column and almost always exclusively very near the main channel of water coming in.

The next time you get high muddy water, pay attention to how the big pools clean up. The area near the channel cleans first then the outside edges slowly clean up via the sediment depositing in areas of reduced current. The stained/muddy stuff absorbs the radiant heat from the sun and will be warmer than the new water coming in by the main channel.

Clean vs. dirty and moving vs. stagnant water all impact temperature which directly impacts dissolved O2.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Interesting, I never thought about stagnant low O2 water in the river. There is a backwater where I normally have a lot of action at. This weekend, I saw no action there at all. The water happened to be very cloudy in there compared to the rest of the river. I believe it gets cloudy from the carp/sucker schools stirring up the bottom. The water had been low for a while. I wonder if the water has been very stagnant in there for a while and the disolved O2 is low.