www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Trophy Walleye Hunt 8/16 and 8/17

Default Trophy Walleye Hunt 8/16 and 8/17

We were looking for a trophy Thursday nite and Friday morning but it did not happen. The bite was tough and that can definitely happen during August. We pounded every spot (multiple times) that I had caught a 10 pounder. Our largest was 19”.

Taking the weekend off in order to catch up on things around the house. Back at it next week!

Stay tuned.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

There are absolute trophy walleye in this river! When you are targeting big walleye do you use traditional walleye sized baits? I only have a couple of fish above 28" where I was using walleye sized baits. All the really big girls have been by-catch while esox fishing.

I usually stick with the philosophy of increasing the bait’s profile as daylight becomes more scarce IF hunting the real bigguns.

This can also help getting noticed by an accidental Esox too.

Here is an interesting little story to remember when night fishing for walleye: About 3 years ago I had a 3-man group out hunting big walleye. It was getting close to midnight and we hadn’t caught squat. One of the guys says he had enough and the other 2 agreed. I had just made a long cast when it was decided that we were quitting so I began reeling my Thunderstick as fast as I could back to the boat. Midway thru the retrieve, I get slammed by a mid-20’s walleye! So, the only walleye we caught that nite was when I was burning the bait back to the boat.

Morals of the story......

Walleye can see/hear exceptionally well.
    Evidently, speed can be a trigger during the day or night (in clear water).

I like that idea of larger lures with decreasing light. Makes sense anyway. Do you follow this with muskie as well?

Yes, especially with bucktails. I like to increase the blade size which provides more lift while also increasing the size of the hackle/tinsel which provides more drag and increases the profile as well. This allows for a slower presentation with increased bulk. (I usually only do this if I am certain there is a big fish close by.)
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com