www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: USCG Captain’s License

Default USCG Captain’s License

It is finally over except for a few more small hoops to jump thru!! My apologies for letting this board go dormant the past several weeks but I have been super busy to say the least.

My firend, Andy (Chautauqua Reel Outdoors Guide) and I decided to attempt to pass all 4 exams of the OUPV/“6-Pack” requirement in just 25 days. We spent 4 to 6 hours during the week and 10-12 hours on each weekend day buried in the books. After 62 practice quizzes and 9 practice module exams, we were qualified to attempt the final proctored exam last Wednesday in Buffalo. 120 questions and 3 hours and 17 minutes later, we had passed all the written tests!! The last hurdles will be a drug test, comprehensive physical and a Homeland Security background check. All will be completed in the next few weeks.

I will also continue doing my Allegheny River Classroom Instruction seminars this year as well. If interested, please call ahead as dates are filling up quickly.

I had heard rumblings of some new Guide regulation changes coming for the Allegheny, Youghiogheny and Mononghela Rivers so I got this out of the way as soon as possible. Since all 3 of those waterways have barge traffic and are patrolled by the USCG, licensed guides (that guide from a motorized vessel) MUST possess a USCG OUPV certification as of 2018. Plus, I will be able to guide 6 or fewer anglers on Lake Erie. My long range plan is to retire in 8-9 years, snowbird in Florida and guide the inshore salt during the winter months. So, I figured it would be much easier to take care of this cognitive hurdle at 49 instead of waiting until I was 58. I sure am glad I got this out of the way now.

Winter Break just began for NY teachers and with the upcoming mild weather, I think I will get a few days on the water soon.

Good luck and be safe!!
    Last edited by Red Childress; 02-18-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Way to get out ahead of it Red, congrats! Also, once you get that business going in Florida, let me know if you will chase Tarpon. If so, I would be all over that. At this point, I am pretty sure that Muskies will be my favorite fish of all time to chase. However, Tarpon are an extremely close second. Good luck on the water. Temps are supposed to be near 70 here for the next couple of days. Crazy.

Thanks man. I will stay inshore and chase Tarpon, Reds, etc. You can fish with me anytime!!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Congrats Red. Retired at 58 sounds really appealing. Reminds me that maybe I should have been a teacher like much of my family.

I remember you telling me about the educators in your family down in Butler several years ago. 58 is my target but we shall see when the time comes.

Good luck this season, Ivan.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I will also continue doing my Allegheny River Classroom Instruction seminars this year as well. If interested, please call ahead as dates are filling up quickly.

Where are these at Red?

I'm with Ivan on being an educator. Retired at 58 would be nice

I usually do them at my house. My basement /man cave is set up nicely for projection-screen type stuff then we spend some time in my boat garage discussing lures and lure modification, leader tying, casting and anything else that pops up. After the Q and A, we sometimes grab the boat and hit the water.

Someone like yourself would likely not benefit but there are tons of new fishermen out there (especially new musky nuts) who would rather do the classes vs. actually fishing with someone. If I had the time (translated = kids out of the house), I would expand the classroom aspect because there appears to be a niche.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Congratulations Red !