www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: USCG Captain’s License

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default USCG Captain’s License

It is finally over except for a few more small hoops to jump thru!! My apologies for letting this board go dormant the past several weeks but I have been super busy to say the least.

My firend, Andy (Chautauqua Reel Outdoors Guide) and I decided to attempt to pass all 4 exams of the OUPV/“6-Pack” requirement in just 25 days. We spent 4 to 6 hours during the week and 10-12 hours on each weekend day buried in the books. After 62 practice quizzes and 9 practice module exams, we were qualified to attempt the final proctored exam last Wednesday in Buffalo. 120 questions and 3 hours and 17 minutes later, we had passed all the written tests!! The last hurdles will be a drug test, comprehensive physical and a Homeland Security background check. All will be completed in the next few weeks.

I will also continue doing my Allegheny River Classroom Instruction seminars this year as well. If interested, please call ahead as dates are filling up quickly.

I had heard rumblings of some new Guide regulation changes coming for the Allegheny, Youghiogheny and Mononghela Rivers so I got this out of the way as soon as possible. Since all 3 of those waterways have barge traffic and are patrolled by the USCG, licensed guides (that guide from a motorized vessel) MUST possess a USCG OUPV certification as of 2018. Plus, I will be able to guide 6 or fewer anglers on Lake Erie. My long range plan is to retire in 8-9 years, snowbird in Florida and guide the inshore salt during the winter months. So, I figured it would be much easier to take care of this cognitive hurdle at 49 instead of waiting until I was 58. I sure am glad I got this out of the way now.

Winter Break just began for NY teachers and with the upcoming mild weather, I think I will get a few days on the water soon.

Good luck and be safe!!
    Last edited by Red Childress; 02-18-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com