www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: New photos!

Default New photos!

I was up last weekend and spent a couple days on the water and a day roaming around Iron County and the U.P. enjoying the glorious fall colors. Lots of photos uploaded, and I'll be adding some more from the TFF as I go through them all. I'm also excited to announce that Blueranger Jr. has joined the fleet!

Attachment 27393

Nice pictures once again.

Quote Originally Posted by gdi View Post
    Nice pictures once again.
    Blue, we were up 2 weeks ago just before the turn. we thought it would have been good. We really have to say your pictures are outstanding. Don't ever stop making the albums that you make . If you don't mind we are going to share your picture with newbies that we brought up with use I know they will enjoy . We will be up again this weekend to do some R&R with some ATVing this time. Going to stop in at the pines, pine lake, around the corner and all are personal fiends we know . Anyone around would like to say Hi and tip a few . Who is going to be around let me know. Good times to all

Hello Bill .. as always great photo's . You have a good eye ( better then good .. and it's not luck - time and hard work to frame , etc ) for the scenery shots . Curious to know what shutter speed you use for the river / water fall scenes .
    Thank you .. I don't get to go up as much to the flowage as I used to and do miss it , especially the fall and the sunsets / sunrises .. your pictures help in this area allot .

It varies depending on available light and the particular river or waterfall. Generally I like to stay relatively fast on waterfalls to retain spray detail - typically 1/10-1/4 sec. But in certain situations it might be several seconds or even minutes. I use neutral density filters in a variety of strengths and sometimes stack a polarizer if I want the riverbed to show.

I finally finished off this batch, and it now includes quite a few photos taken from my boat and kayak on the TFF, along with outings to the Gile Flowage, Upson, Ironwood and the Presque Isle River end of the Porcupine Mountains.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/686793...h/24212631177/

Tim, that varies a lot depending on the scene and my objectives. On most waterfalls, I tend to shoot faster than most people - typically in the 1/10-1/4s range - because I like to preserve a lot of the spray details and minimize leaf movement if it's windy. I'm generally not a fan of the "silky water" look where you just throw on a very strong neutral density filter and blur all the details into oblivion. There's no skill in that and I think it's become too much of a cliché. The exception is when I'm trying to emphasize a circular eddy or bubble trail, and in those cases the shutter speed might be anywhere from several seconds to several minutes. I always experiment with a range of shutter speeds and pick the winner later, because waterfalls take many forms and even the same one can look very different with variations in water volume. Generally I'm looking to find a speed that's just long enough to smooth the flow so the water doesn't look what I'd call "chunky" or "choppy", and that depends mainly on how far the water drops unobstructed.

Bill ... thanks for the replies on the shutter speed used . I will slow down a little bit ( depending on light , speed , etc ) but I don't like the ' silky water ' looks either as part of a landscape ( not realistic in most shots ) .
    Thank you again ...

Blue hats off to you ,you take outstanding photos. We enjoy every time you put more up keep up the great work.