www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Can you recommend best anchor for fishing the TFF

Default Can you recommend best anchor for fishing the TFF

Can someone recommend the "BEST" anchor to use on the TFF? I usually fish the stumps / wood. Been using two 18 lb river anchors and when they get stuck in the root system of those stumps.......it is a real problem trying to dislodge them. Have not lost one yet...but it's only a matter of time.

Would greatly appreciate your suggestions!

Respectfully:

mooselegs

I purchased my used 16.5 foot V-Hull with a Worth Anchormate system mounted on the stern. It has a 8 pound mushroom style anchor. We fish the log jams from the bow of the boat and let the anchor get caught up on logs on the bottom. There are a couple nice features with this system; 1) you are able to let out more anchor line to get closer to the log jams, 2) there is no pulling up the anchor line by hand, you simply crank it up, 3) the small mushroom anchor typically frees up when you back up to it. It works so well that a brother added 1 to his boat. BTW...I also carry a heaver 18 pound river style anchor for deeper water or high wind conditions.

FYI...I just checked Cabela's and the style of unit that I use is actually called 'Worth Anchormate II'

Thanks MonarkPro1650....perhaps you have the right idea. Maybe going with a lighter anchor system in the stumps (cuz it doesn't take much to get snagged) then have a heavier setup for the deeper....less snaggeir areas. Thanks.....will give this some deep thought.

I use coffee cans filled with concrete for the stumpy areas out of the river channel. The river anchors are a must for the river channels.

@mooselegs

It sounds as if your Talkin bout the infamous TFF Root balls, for this we should use some Root Cause Analyses.

After asking the three “Why’s” I think you’ll come to the same conclusion as I.

“THE ROPE BREAKS”

Simple answer:

1. Get a bigger rope.
    2. Replace the old rope, then tie the old rope to a cinder block.

If you get hung up again.

3. Tie the rope with the cinder block around the wife’s ankle and have her free the anchor.

Never lost an anchor using this process, maybe a few wives But a good anchor is hard to find…

Safe Opener to all

Any type of anchor that you DO NOT see on the bottom of the flowage . I have lost a few but since you mentioned fishing around the stumps what I like to use the best is when the water is low enough ( stump is view-able ) I tie onto the stump with a pair of Ice Tongs ( old fashioned ) . You can work the root structure , etc. with live bait , lures , bobber and a cane pole too !