www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Fishing

Default Weekend Fishing

We hunted muskies this weekend and did not see/catch/smell a musky or pike. One of those weather patterns making you kinda wishing you were a sucker dragger.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I was wondering how the fishing was over the weekend. As much as I enjoyed that weather change, those first couple of days have always been kind of rough for me. A couple of years back, I was able to get a couple of hours fishing in before the clouds broke during a similar type front. Had all kinds of action and fish moving everywhere. As soon as the sun was out for good, the switch flipped and didn't see another fish all damn day. I am digging the weather change for sure. Water temps are still in upper 70's around here. Hoping to try a couple Fall "patterns" around here that I haven't had to chance to revisit over the last couple of years.

My plans changed in a hurry last Friday so I ended up chasing smaller fish both days over the weekend. Saturday had much better results for me than Sunday did. It was nice doing some different stuff/experimentation and fishing some different areas. It ceases to amaze me just how much the river changes over the course of a year regarding depth and bottom structure. Small changes are not evident when you fish past them all the time and just assume it is the "same as last year". The only way to really know is to drift over certain areas and take a peek with the sonar. Ditches/channels fill in, boulders/new trees roll around, weed beds and creek mouths change all the time.

I made my final tackle order for 2016 last nite in preparation for the cool water period. Hopefully, I bought the right stuff.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 10-05-2016 at 05:51 AM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

It was a tough weekend chasing Esox. 1 follow and 1 pike. Hitting Chatauqua for 12 hours tomorrow with Andy of Chautauqua Reel Outdoors. We are under a frost warning here until Tuesday morning. Ouch.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

3 of us pounded the lake yesterday from Mayville to Smith Boys and could only net 1 smallish musky and 1 follow. A trolling boat netted a musky near us at about the same time. Another tough day for sure.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

We had a lot of clear skies in my neck of the woods yesterday. I'm guessing you guys were dealing with the same conditions?

My brother and I are trying to plan a trip up that way in early November. We've never had a chance to fish up there that late in the year. Just hoping to get to fish in somewhat of a stable weather pattern if/when we do get up there.

Ultra clear skies and some decent, intermittent winds as well. Fish and bait were deeper than the previous 2 days. In hindsight, we should have changed up our program during the first half of the day.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Yep, those weather conditions sound like the story of my life when it comes to Musky fishing. I think our last trip had one day that was cloudy, but it was 90 and humid as all hell.

I'd love to take like 2yrs off work and fish every cloudy day possible just to make up for it. And, I'll then determine if the fishing is as good as I think it should be on overcast days. LOL

My dad and I had a good weekend up on the lake, better for us on Sunday. I will say that with our newer lund, the windy and rainy lake days are a lot more comfortable. Still getting used to fishing with a prop boat.

Still have your jet rig too? Those fancy prop boats don't slide like the jets do!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Yes, Have the jet rig too. Now all I need is some time to use them.

Big weather change looming. Let's hope it helps!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I'm in the process of planning a trip for early November, so I'm hoping we are at least in a "normal" Fall weather pattern by then. Not diggin this crap we just had at all. Lake temps around here are still around mid-upper 60's.

We fished Thursday and Friday evening and scored some decent walleye/trout. On Sunday, we had the hooks into 3 muskies and landed 2 of them. Gary lost a big fish at the boat, Steve popped a mid-30's musky on a custom Legend crankbait and I even caught one that was very thick from head to tail. Big ole head on her too. The photos do not accentuate the size/girth at all because we shot down on the fish to keep the background info out of the frame. Here are the only photos I have from Sunday thus far:

Attachment 26157

Attachment 26158
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Nice work! You can tell that fish definitely has some stockiness to it. That body shape is similar to a fish I lost back in June. Basically, the transition between head, body, and tail had no contours. LOL

On my next trip out, I am hoping to do a bit of an experiment with fly size. I stopped throwing the big flies (10+ inches) a few years back. I seemed to get as much or more action on the 6-8" flies and the monster flies are just a pain to cast. I'm gonna have both rigged on this trip and do my best to get them equal time in the water and see how things go. It still seems to me that a lot of times, a fish is gonna eat when it wants to eat, no matter what happens to pass by it. I know one trip will be a tiny data set, but I am curious to see if I notice any sort of difference.

During the tougher fishing days this year (which there were plenty), I had my guys devote more time to smaller stuff and I think it helped.

The biggest mistake I see musky fishermen doing around these parts is simply fishing areas that do not consistently hold fish. I am not talking about general areas the size of football fields but the specific spots within those areas which might be the size of your living room or even smaller. The underwater structure, especially when dealing with current areas, is the most important aspect. Most everyone I see on this river gets caught up in the "bass mentality" when dealing with "fishy" looking spots and pound the shoreline rip-rap. Not all shoreline rip-rap areas hold muskies......not even close. Fishing hard does not always equate to fishing smart. I try to fish as smart as possible and that comes with years of experience on your water of choice. I learn new things about this river each year because I am trying to learn more........not launching the boat and doing the same thing all the time (unless it is working). The dilemma with many guys is that they only get X number of days to fish per year and spending time doing re-con (homework) is not in the cards. So, they fish the visible stuff because it is the most obvious and takes the shortest amount of time to figure out. Leaving the rods at home (or in the rod locker) and launching the boat just to drive/drift around and map out areas is what it takes to fully understand the water you are fishing. Guys like me who are lucky enough to have more days on the water than the average person can spend some time doing homework. It is hard to force yourself NOT to fish but it sure has been beneficial for me over the years.

The big fish I caught on Sunday was in an area that saw at least 10-20 casts land around it but after consistently changing the angle of approach, she decided to eat. She was parked in "her spot" and until a lure was placed in "her zone", she evidently was not going to move on it. It was an area that has produced big fish before and took me 18 years to stumble onto it and figure it out.

I am not speaking directly to you, Jay, as you already know this stuff.........just babbling to whomever is reading it.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 10-25-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

LOL I couldn't agree more Red. Thats one of the reasons that I am revisiting the larger flies after kinda staying away from them for a couple of seasons. My "style" of fishing has changed a bit since then too.

I was definitely one of those people who seemed to always be fishing the visable structure and also mainly shallow. A few seasons ago, I decided to literally and figuratively turn my back on the shallows (6' or less), and spend some time casting into the deeper waters. It was tough early on, thats for sure. My brother would be casting shallow and he'd be seeing fish or getting some action, and I wasn't seeing anything. However, it wasn't long before the fish started showing up. It also seemed to decrease the amount of follows, but increase my hook-up opportunities. I have no problem with that.

After finding some fish deeper, I'd also try to float into the area to scan the water column for any signs of special structure or bait to try and put the puzzle together. Most times I did't really identify anything, but a few times I have, and thats a pretty cool part of this Musky challenge as far as I am concerned.

Most of my time is spent on lakes, but sometime in the future, I hope to get to spend some time fishing some rivers to try and learn something there too. As the saying goes, "so much water, so little time".

I agree. Solving small parts of the seemingly 'never-ending puzzle' is the addiction! How can a fish with the brain the size of a pea outsmart us as often as they do? Because we allow ourselves to become complacent with our current methods of hunting them. Einstein's definition of insanity applies here for sure!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

You got that right. These fish can sure make you completely rethink your whole exsitence sometimes. And I agree about Einstein. I'd almost swear he was talking about Musky when he came up with that thought. LOL

I even find myself leaning toward throwing one particular fly pattern quite a bit. The firetiger/perch colors seem to work on every body of water I've fished so far. Its almost always my first and last patterns to throw. I've been branching out a bit and tying some olives and blues that seem to get some good action too. And I found that a red/white pattern can be awesome too. Like you mentioned about changing the angles to get some action on a spot. Theres a chance that fish would have hit anything once it was presented the way it wanted. I'm sure that I got through some spots way too fast and should work the area more. Definitely a good idea to remember on the tough days.

Red head/white body has been effective for me in clear water. Come to think of it, I should get back on that color this Fall. The first generation Kinzua trollers did very well with that color scheme too!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Yep, I kinda stumbled onto the red/white pattern a couple years back on glendale. Only had a couple hours to fish one morning and ended up landing 2 Musky and a 36" pike in that time. All the fish were within about 100-150 yds of each other. Needless to say, its been a go to of mine. Funny that you mention the clear water too. Now that I think about it, all the water systems that I've had the most luck with that pattern are pretty clear also.

Getting to really know a specific river stretch, etc is an ongoing process for sure. Even if structural elements stay constant, there are so many other variables to consider. Once you figure out an area, the one thing to expect is that it will change at some point. Even in the lower Allegheny, subtle changes occur every year. Some years, totally ridiculous changes take place. I.e. sauger everywhere one year, no sauger the next.

Finally hit the river below Kinzua this past Saturday only to discover all the fish except one very confused largemouth were on a hunger strike. At least the ramp is nice and new!

How's the Amish brigade in the Warren dredge pool speaking of not so subtle changes that affect fishing? I think last year may have been my last trips to that area for some time. I'd rather spend the limited time I have learning new places rather than continue the frustration I got on two trips there last year.

Largemouth? That is a strange catch for sure. I have never caught one from this section of river, ever. Regarding the Amish, I was not out this weekend due to engine problems but in the weeks prior, I really had not seen them much (yet).

Spent Saturday gutting my boat and scrubbing it from top to bottom for delivery at Weigel's on Sunday morning. Sounds like I have a rod bearing going bad which means another new powerhead within 15 months of the last one! 211 hours is not even close to normal life-span of an OptiMax. I am hoping the 'warranty gods' are on my side!

I bet it was a miserable weekend on the water. We stayed under severe T-storm warnings for most of Sunday but when I drove to Franklin, it was beautiful there at 9am.

Anyone do any good over the weekend?
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

last week was my 5th trip out this year and I got the low 30's fish in Red's boat. The 6th trip was Saturday on my kayak. 10:45 to 11:30AM, no lunar set or rise and water dropping, I caught 3 muskies in the 30"-35" range on the same custom Legend I used last week. I've got the musky bug again. I hope I have the time to keep feeding it.
    Thanks again Red, Steve

Nice going, Steve! You better have an armed guard with that bait 24/7!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

River is jacket up around here. I bet the floating leaves/weeds are a serious problem.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Possible rod bearing/powerhead problem ended up being a bad pulley so boat is fixed and ready to roll. An 8 thousand dollar repair ended up being a freebie @ Wiegel Brother's so Christmas came early for me! Now, I just need the river to calm down by Saturday. If it doesn't, we may hit Kinzua and do some stuff up there. Kinzua jumped 14 feet in the past 2 weeks and is the highest it has been since late-July....hence, the high discharge rates into the river.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

muskyjerk,

Way to go man. Sounds like you are tuned into em right now. Hope that hot streak keeps going for ya.

Red,

Great news on the boat. Good luck this weekend. We will be heading out tomorrow. As usual, Mother Nature decided to throw a cold front our way. Looks like a 20-30 degree temp drop. Gotta love it. LOL Not sure how much time I might get throwing the "big" flies if I have to downsize a bit to get fish to eat. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Give us an update on the hawg(s) you guys boat tomorrow. Good Luck!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

winter style trolling. Slack water on the river. Slow speed, easy on a kayak. lure with a wide tail wobble. running shallower if water is muddy/stained, 5' over 12' Saturday. Good luck.

We chased some trout/walleye around Friday evening and caught a few of each but things were kinda slow for us. Fished Chautauqua on Saturday and Sunday........we moved a few muskies (I had a nice fish strike me short and then came in real tight to boat but spooked off) and lost 2 but nothing in the net. We were doing some different things while hunting a big fish or two but things were pretty slow for us.

Hey Adam,

We saw you and your Dad trolling through Bemis on Saturday mid-morning. I waved but was in a different boat than normal.
    Last edited by Red Childress; 11-07-2016 at 12:25 PM.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Tough couple of days of fishing for us too. Cold fronts, wind, all of our favorites. LOL Got lucky and put 2 in the net. Did my best to lose and miss a few other fish. Actually pulled the fly right out of the mouth of at least 2 next to the boat.

Fished the river Saturday and Sunday afternoons with limited luck. I lost a 30 inch pike at the boat. Hit a Medussa and never really got a good hook in him. My netman was in no hurry to bring the net to the front of the boat... (or maybe it was just the way I saw it The only other action was a 40-44" fish that followed in my Dad's shallow raider. It didn't want anything to do with the 8.

This is my first season of targeting musky. I still have a ton to learn but I am starting to see some patterns just like the bass and walleye I've chased on the river for years.

Anyone have any luck this weekend?

We fished hard the past few days and caught good numbers of bass and a few nice walleye. The trout fishing has been tougher than normal for November (at least for my boat). We hit a couple decent pike on Saturday. We lost 2 muskies on Friday with one being a stud in the upper 40" bracket. Overall, fishing was subpar for us. Water temps are running about 4 degrees above normal.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    We fished hard the past few days and caught good numbers of bass and a few nice walleye. The trout fishing has been tougher than normal for November (at least for my boat). We hit a couple decent pike on Saturday. We lost 2 muskies on Friday with one being a stud in the upper 40" bracket. Overall, fishing was subpar for us. Water temps are running about 4 degrees above normal.

Red, do people use the quick set rig and suckers on the river? Or is that more of a lake setup? Looking to expand my options.
    thanks
    Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast