www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Time flies when you are having fun. 07/18/2016

Default Time flies when you are having fun. 07/18/2016

It has been a record setting May and June for our guide service. Action is the attraction here. We are the only area that consistently produces limits of walleyes. We have done an equal amount of fishing on Lake Sharpe and Lake Francis Case. All you do is look at those happy faces on our facebook pics to figure that out.

Fishing has been good on both reservoirs. There is no magic depth. One day the walleyes are in 6 and the next day they are in 25-30 chasing shad and other bait fish around. Crawlers have been best. Mostly the Allens Special of a Chartuese Spinner and a bottom bouncer. The smally bite has been slow. We expect that to hopefully pick back up towards the middle of August.

Will try to do my report the best I can as I got behind, which is per usual when we are this busy this time of year. (I am writing the report from Indianapolis with my daughter, bowing in the biggest youth tournament in the world, 3700 participants)

On May 18-19 I guided a group from Springfield, MO area along with Brian Ward. Between the 2 days we caught 220 fish between the 2 boats. Also caught 36 smallies between the 2 days. With I have fished with this group for 15 years.

On May 20-21 I fished with a group from Lincoln, NE along with guide Eric Steichen. This group has fished with me since the early 1990's. Also have a trophy walleye on the wall. It was our last keeper of the day in roughly 1996. Anyway between the 2 boats we caught 200 plus fish in the 2 days with a limit of smallies on day 2.

On May 22 I guided a woman from Sioux Falls, SD. We had a great time catching 60 fish. Caught a limit of walleyes and smallies.
    On May 24 I guided a couple from Boyten, IA. Great action catching 70 fish. Limit of walleyes, smallies and a couple crappies.

May 25 I guided a group from Sioux Falls. Great day on the water catching 65-70 fish. Limit of walleyes and smallies with 1 crappie. (Which is aabout half rare)

May 26 I guided a group from Fort Dodge, IA. They said it was one of the best so far with me. They have been out 6 years I believe. Limit of walleyes and smallies with a 22 inch walleye. We caught 75-80 fish.

May 27-28 I guided a group from Plattesmouth, NE We caught 135 fish and a limit of smallies on day 2.
    We threw back multiple smallies over 18 inches

May 29 I was with a family from Fairview, SD. An excellent day catching 55 fish. Limit of walleyes and smallies. Also throwing back multiple smallies over 18.

May 30 I had 2 couples out from Chamberlain. We caught 75 plus fish with a limit of walleyes and smallies. First time out with me for the women. They had a terrific time. Hope to see you next Memorial Day.

May 31 We had a family from Denison, IA along with Lee Pulse, Garry Allen, and Scott Handel. Between all 4 boats we caught 150 fish. A great family vacation

June 1-3 I had a group out from Bloomfield, CO and Great Falls, MT. In the course of 3 days we caught multiple smallies over 18 inches. Also a dandy stringer of walleyes. We caught over 200 fish in 3 days. Already rebooked. Will see you next year!!

June 4-5 I had a group out from Des Moines, IA. I guided this group on days 2 and 3. They limited with Brian Ward on Day 1. On day 2 we caught between 100-110 fish in a 40 plus mph wind. On day 3 with nice weather we went smally fishing. Caught over 100 smallies. What a trip!!

June 6 We had a family from Bettendorf, IA. I guided along side Glen Eimers, Eric Steichen, and David Bies. Our group caught between 300-350 fish between the 4 boats. What a family fishing trip!!

June 7-8 I had a group out from Fremont, Lincoln, and Kansas City We caught 125 fish included are 18 smallies. Another great fishing trip for this crew.

June 9 I had a crew out from Springfield, MO. A great day catching 85 fish. We caught a limit of walleyes and smallies.

June 10 We had this family out on their return trip from their vacation from Bettendorf, IA. Also guiding with me, Glen Eimers and Brian Ward. We caught 200-225 fish between the 3 boats.

June 11-12 I had a group out from Harlan, IA. We caught 110 - 120 fish those 2 days with a dandy stringer of walleyes.

June 13-14 I had a group out from Urbandale and Missouri Valley, IA and Omaha. Tale of 2 different days. Day 1 went to first spot and caught 80 fish. Day 2 I could not buy many keepers and made a 7 mile move. Ended up with a dandy stringer catching 85 fish

June 15 Fished with a group from Kansas City. We caught 110 fish including 13 smallies.

June 16 We had 11 boats out in a company group. We all limited out. My boat caught 65 fish by 12:30. This group has been with us since the 80's.

June 17 I fished with a first time group from Rapid City and Harlingen, TX. We caught 55-60 fish, also with a limit of smallies. Had all this done by noon.

June 18-19 I fished with a group from Owatanna, MN. I guided with alongside Eric Steichen. Lots of action catching close to 400 fish, with limits of walleyes and smallies. This group has been with us for 14 years.

June 20-21-22 I had a group that has been with me for over 10 years. They are from Clinton, IA. We caught 250 fish in the 3 days. Limit of walleyes and smallies on days 1-2, then mostly catch and release with some catfish and white bass on day 3.

June 23-24 Guides Mike Allen, Brian Ward, David Bies, and Eric Steichen. Most of this group is from Lincoln, NE are with some from Moline, IL. Our boats caught an estimated 600 plus fish in the 2 days. Already rebooked. Will see you next year!!

July 25-26 I had a group out with guide Brian Ward. On day 1 we fished in hurricane type winds. Both boats manufactured a limit of walleyes. On day 2 with much nicer weather our boats caught 170 fish with limits of smallies. Group is from Hermann, MO.

June 27 I guided a group from Chamberlain on a birthday trip. We caught 120 fish. A great day on the lake!!!!!

June 28 I had a group from the Minneapolis area. We fished for a little over 3 hours and caught 65 fish.

June 29 I guided a group the Des Moines, IA and Chicago area. A great day on the lake catching over 70 fish.

June 30 - July 1. Guided 3 generations. Excellent action catching 150 fish. Also caught a 12 lb Channel Catfish and a limit of smallies.

July 2-3 Guided a group from Plattesmouth, NE We caught 120 fish. Caught 8 smallies on day 1 also. Had to work at it a little here to find the right fish. 3 generations in my boat again on this trip.

July 4th I had the opportunity to take my kids fishng. We had an excellent morning of catching walleyes before we went tubing the rest of the day.

July 5-6 I had a group from Lincoln, NE We caught 150 fish in 2 days with a wide variety of species. Great day with 2 couples. A couple first timers in my boat on this trip.

July 7 Group was from Kansas City, MO and Sioux Falls, SD. First timers in our area. We caught 70-80 fish. Catching a wide variety of species.

July 8-9 This group like our trip last week so well they came back again. To their surprise I was fishing a completely different area. A dandy stringer of walleyes, along with 9 catfish. Not quite the action, but nice walleyes. Day 2 was a little slower, but again nice fish. We stayed out of the wind, grinded out our walleyes and caught 22 catfish.

July 10-11 I along with dad (Garry Allen) guided a group based out of Adrian, MN. We caught between 200-250 fish in the 2 days. What a great trip!!

July 12-13-14, I had a group out from Des Moines, IA. July 12-13 We had some excellent walleye fishing, catching 130-140 fish between the 2 days. Day 3 we chased a few smallies around. It was slow, but we caught a few for some extra meat to take home.

Whew now that was a good run!!
    Until next time
    Mike Allen
    Last edited by Mike Allen; 07-20-2016 at 01:31 PM.
    Mike Allen
    Allen's Hillside South Dakota Fishing & Hunting Guide Service
    Web Site: http://www.allenshillside.com