Hello Everybody,

The Independence was launched over a week ago and I have already been out fishing six times. As we often have this time of year however, there's been heavy wind the past two days, keeping me off the water so I thought I'd update everyone on what's been happening.

This is the earliest I have ever started a season, launching on March 21 and fishing soon there after. We ave already caught a couple coho salmon but normally this time of year we are targeting brown and lake trout in shallow. However, heavy winds from the northeast a week ago, pounded the shoreline and stirred up sand and sediment. Making the water cloudy and efforts to catch fish in there have been unsuccessful. Therefore, we switched gears, have gone offshore and have successfully hauled four-straight limit catches of lake trout in 37 degree water. The fish are healthy and large. Averaging 6-8lbs each with some weighing in the low teens as well. This is a new and unusual tactic for this time of the season. For one, it's unusual to be fishing in such cold water and catching fish. And it's also unusual to be fishing seven miles off shore in March. But for now it remains a very viable Plan B option and has been very good to us.

When the shallow water clarity improves, we will switch gears again and fish the shoreline. This could be soon depending on wind and conditions. We expect to catch more brown trout in shallow, but there will be lake trout and some coho salmon too. Further, the large schools of coho salmon will probably arrive in the next 2-4 weeks. Their eventual arrival into nearby waters will depend on water temperature and baitfish movements. When we detect the arrival of baitfish schools, the coho are often a day or two behind.

Besides the new coolers and cushions on board, which look very sharp, I'm excited to also introduce everyone to new, Windycitysalmon T-shirts for 2016. The design reflects my past life/residence and current, name-association with the city of Chicago and is represented by the city's skyline as viewed from the water. On the right-hand side, Waukegan is represented by it's signature lighthouse. Again, as viewed from the water. The design is printed on a shirt that's hard not to love. It's no ordinary T. But is the 50/50 American Apparel, ultra-soft combed cotton/poly blend. It is a lighter-weight, slightly fitted T, and already has that nice, worn feel to it. It could be your favorite, go-to T in no time! It's always my intent when I make any kind of apparel, that you actually want to wear it because it's comfortable and you like the design. Rather than just a souvenir and a billboard for my business. The shirts are also made in the USA. Three colors are available; a sky blue, black, and a forest green. Sizes are M, L, and XL. Price is $20 each. They should arrive soon and will be available for purchase onboard. I also still have previous styles of T's on board as well and I'll be printing the old logo on the new, American Apparel T, in a few weeks. Sizes Small and Double XX might also be available in future runs as well but for now, as capital expenditures at the beginning of the season are high, and revenue is low, I had to cut it off at M-L-XL. If you do not plan to fish this year but want to get a shirt, drop me a line here and I can certainly make arrangements.

Attached are some photos from the recent trips out as well as renditions of the new T shirts. I hope this email and attachments aren't too large. Also if you were looking to put a date on the books for the spring, please don't hesitate to contact me. At this point all weekend dates in April and May have been filled. There is weekday availability still but that is dwindling as well. There are spots for the summer in June, July and August and as of now, you will have more options to choose from there.

Thanks very much for reading. I will update everyone when I can, when we switch tactics from catching trout to catching coho salmon, when they arrive.

For more up to date information, please follow along at the Windycitysalmon facebook page. I update that on a daily basis when I am fishing: https://www.facebook.com/windycitysalmon/

-Capt Rick
Attachment 25240Attachment 25239Attachment 25238Attachment 25237Attachment 25236Attachment 25235Attachment 25234Attachment 25233Attachment 25241Attachment 25232