www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice Out

Default Ice Out

Always interested to hear about current ice conditions, and the "official" ice out date...

I'm sure others are as well.

Hoping for good fishing and warmer swimming conditions for my annual Memorial week camping trip!

Thanks

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

We will keep you posted. Given the forecast, don't expect ice out this weekend! LOL

Scott, when do you expect "ice" out" ????? …. Would Mid-April be realistic in your opinion ? I've been dying to get up to Mercer to shut the heat off at our place. Larr

Normal "ice-out" is in mid-April. Obviously, it is weather dependent and we can't predict the weather. I'll keep you posted on conditions around the Lake Bastine area. Don't turn your cabin heat off yet! LOL

As of April 3rd, the ice is out around Lake of the Falls. The water is still too cold for the walleye spawn to start.

There is a band of open water running down the Turtle River from Lake of the Falls past Dead Horse Resort with ice along the edges.

Lake Bastine, Donners Bay, Fort Flambeau and Sportsmans Landing areas remain ice locked other than some melt around the edges of the shore and docks.

There is open water from the dam to Big Island.

The Flambeau River from the TFF Dam to Crawley Dam is nearly all open other then some back sloughs.

Some sandhill cranes and loons have returned.

Daily high temperatures are predicted to get back in the 40's starting Sunday, April 10th and 50's by late next week.

I am certain that we will have ice-out by the fishing opener on May 7, 2016.

If you haven't booked a cabin yet, take a look at www.turtleflambeauflowage.com for lodging information and to order a free TFF map.

Scott

Cool

As of April 10th and the return of winter last week, there hasn't been much change in ice-out. We stopped at Fishermans Landing and found it pretty much iced shut but there was a open pocket of water with a wood duck, so there is hope!

There is open water at the bridge over the Trude Lake channel up to the first island and back into the channel of the Turtle River.

The ice elsewhere is getting quite dark.

The long term weather forecast is for temps of 70 degrees by Saturday, April 16, 2016, so I hope to be able to give good news next week.

Lake Superior Satellite NOAA site looks like Beaver Flats area, and Horseshoe is open water.

Nick, You may be correct. As I looked out towards Beaver Flats from Fishermans Landing, it looked like there may have been open water. I wasn't sure, so I didn't post it. The upcoming weather should open things up!

NOAA Coastwatch provides satellite shots of the Great Lakes areas. If you choose Modis Imagery and then select Great Lakes Modis True Color ,Lake Superior you can see the flowage. It does look like the Beaver Flats have opened up. http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/

Thanks dewkid. Cool technology!

Given the warm forecast with strong winds through Saturday and warm with rain on Sunday, I think we may see ice out this weekend.

Dewkid...take a look at the latest Sat. photo...looks like a ton of open water going on! Best fishes to all!

The ice is out by Donners Bay across to Big Island per the photos they have posted. I will post again on Monday and believe that I will confirm "ice-out".
    Last edited by Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC; 04-18-2016 at 12:15 PM.

Ice-out occurred on the afternoon of Thursday, April 14, 2016. Loons returned to the Lake Bastine area on April 15, 2016.

It's the start of another season on the TFF. Good luck everyone!