www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Waterbeast Tackle "Mega Wraith" Demo

Default Waterbeast Tackle "Mega Wraith" Demo

Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red,

I really dig that action. It is VERY similar to what I end up with for the flies that I tie!! And the closer I look, the more it looks a lot like some that I tie. I'm a big fan of adding a lot of flash/synthetic material. I'll have to tell my brother about these baits. He's always trying to steal my damn flies!

I was just discussing a bait like that with a basement lure guy on Tuesday. Exact same concept and made of plastic or dense wood. These look nice for sure!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

I agree, definitely looks pretty wicked. I was thinking about it a bit more last night. I've tied a few bucktails/tinsel for my brother that he's thrown on the back of some inline spinners. I'm now wondering if I might be able to tie something similar onto the body of a spoon type bait. That could have some pretty interesting action and also be pretty darn weedless. Might have to get some materials together and see what kind of frankenstein I can create for him to try.

Funny that you mention the spoon idea. I messed around with rigging spoons with single hooks and various plastics, mainly big twister tails. I did not experiment much as I stuck with what was working on most trips, but this creation was nice for fluttering around structure. Hard to move quickly as you'd expect.

Yep, I figured that spoon action would be quite different that any of the blades being used for that type of thing. I think the trick would be finding a good weight ratio of the spoon to fur/flash material to give it enough weight to cast but bouyant enough to hang in the water a bit during the pause. Thats one of the things that I love about the action of flies is the amount of time that I can keep them in a particular zone before having to impart more action to them. No matter what, it seems like it could be a fun little project.

Another option is to mess with Chatterbaits. I plan to alter a few to make them articulated. We've had a lot of success with medium sized (6-8 inch) chatterbaits this winter fishing them like a jig.

i know of a few guys jigging them successfully for walleye in the spring mud conditions and bangging lakers through the ice as well. We did well trolling them on Chautauqua for muskies too.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress