Water temps range from 47 to 50 on lakes across Vilas County. Much warmer than last year at this time. Musky bite is strong when the weather is right, and ok when it isn't. A mixture of east and south winds slows the bite for larger fish, while west and north winds provide some of the best action. This past week 16 fish hit the net from 34 to 46. Most of these fish are on Rob's Quick Set rig with suckers. Casting did provide a couple. Depth Raiders, Mag Bull Dawgs, and 10" Suicks have been my best casting lures right now.

I am targeting mid lake rock and gravel bars, deeper sloping points, and some deep coontail edges. I like to work from 15 to 25' right now, and will do deeper as the water temps drop. With trolling legal, work your suckers into the wind as slow as possible. .2 to .4 MPH is all that you want. Once you drag your sucker like a dog on a leash, your presentation is worthless.

Haven't walleye fished in over a month, but it appears the bite is good on most lakes in the mud.

I will be fishing later into November this year with a hunting trip fall thru, so if anyone is interested in a trip let me know.

Good Luck!