Hi Folks. Well, it’s been a long, tough summer of fishing. Activity has been just like our weather – lots of ups and downs. This past week of hot weather has warmed up water and triggered a pretty good walleye and northern bite on some waters.

WALLEYES have been doing pretty well as of late. We have been finding them in 1 to 2 feet of water on area flowages. On these waters jig + minnow combinations have been working best. The best thing about this bite is that the “eater” northerns are hanging around the same spots. On lakes we have been finding our fish a little deeper. My best activity has been in 6 to 8 feet of water. Wood and weeds are the structure I’m targeting. On lakes, crawlers are still best, although it’s wise to have a few minnows along. On rock-oriented waters, concentrate on humps at about 15 feet. We have found that drifting across them using lindy floating rigs has been effective.

This has been a great year when it comes to MUSKIES. Fishing for these “toothy beasts” has provided musky anglers with very good action. We have been concentrating our efforts in weeds and rocky points. I’ve been finding many of these fish up shallow. Suicks have been my weapon of choice for these fish. They have been crushing these lures. Double bladed tinsel tails have also proven effective as of late. I’m getting excited about the fall sucker season – it’s getting close. I’ve been tangling with some big fish while I’m walleye fishing so I can’t wait to get back on them for real.
Well that’s all for now ----
Jeff Winters