www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Revenge is Best When Served Cold

Default Revenge is Best When Served Cold

Our group just returned from Witch Bay Camp. It was another great year---the water level was normal but the water temperature was high (75-77 degrees). We caught lots of smallmouth bass (14-17 inches) and northern (18-22 inches), only two (2) 24 inch northern.

I was able to make-up for the errors I made last year---please see my note eight (8) notes down this list from a year ago. (The first thing I did was sell the rod that missed that Musky last year). We were fishing for Northern Pike and Smallmouth Bass down south by Shore Island when a Musky came out of the weeds and followed my Mepps for approximately twenty (20) yards. As the Mepps was about eight (8) feet from the boat I attempted to start a figure-8 pattern with the lure. Before I could start the pattern the Musky took the lure and ran toward the stern of the boat. I set the hook and the battle was on. After fifteen (15) minutes, several runs and passes by the net---the 43-1/2 inch Musky was in the boat. My Mepps was deformed but, it held.

rlw

RLW,
    Nice fish, don't you love it when a plan comes together! I'm guessing the smaller northerns were a product of the warmer water. Did you try deeper water techniques to go for larger fish? I can understanding just enjoying the number of fish caught. I will be in Witch Bay Camp the week of Labor Day and I hope the water temp has fallen a bit by then. Congrats again on a nice Musky, hope I get one like that.

Default First Timer On-board

We did not fish deeper, my partner in the boat was a first timer---he just wanted to catch fish after fish after fish. The ‘Rookie’ will take many a fish story back to Tennessee.

rlw

Just left WB we caught plenty of walleye but no big ones , a lot of smallmouth and 42,37,37,36,35 and 29" pike in grass back of a bay 6-8' deep.

RLW,
    This is my first trip to WBC. And I'm wondering how it is going to go. Will I get caught up in the catching or will I put down what appears to be a catching formula (albeit for smaller fish) and try and fish for bigger fish. This is a bucket list trip and I brought lures designed for big pike and musky. I have a daredevil that is about 9 inches long and I have 2 tandem spinnerbaits that way about a pound apiece. I used the spinnerbait in Canada before and my fishing partner told me if anything hit it I was on my own. I have gotten good advice on here and personal emails, I hope I remember what I was told when I am on the water. I am going to try and do some fun fishing every day. I hope the WB guides can give me a go to place for walleye I want to come to the Wednesday shore lunch with fish. I am looking forward to that. I believe I have a good change to catch my personal best smallmouth, walleye, northern, and my first musky on this trip. I know I will have stories to take back to Virginia with me.

JJC -- when will you be in camp? My group will be there the week of the 8th to 15th of August. Not knowing what your personal bests are, I can't guarantee you anything in that category. What I can tell you is LOTW is a world class fishery for all 4 species with true trophy class fish of all 4 species available in close proximity to Camp. If you are in camp the week we will be there, track us down, we would love to talk fishing with you. We will be the group of rough looking, haggard worn out guys who look a bit unstable -- we spend most of out time looking for muskies. Hope to see you in camp. By the way, rest assured, the pros in camp will put you on reliable patterns and spots for plenty of walleye -- no doubt more than enough for shore lunch.

JJC

Formula for success for first timers at Witch Bay Camp:
    1. Meet the owners Gail and Steve Hockett; especially Gail---she is your connection to having a great trip.
    2. Gail will connect you to the guide you need (Muskie, Walleye, Smallmouth, Northern...).
    3. Accept the opportunity to fish with a guide. This would be a great opportunity to fish for Muskie. The guides know where the Muskies hang out.
    4. Ask Gail about fishing on Lake La Belle---great lake for first-timers (Rookies). The fish 'jump in the boat'.
    5. Bring your favorite small lure such as a spinner, crankbait plastic, throw it, and catch fish.
    6. Fish for Walleye using a worm on a jig or bottom bouncer.
    7. After you have your fill of catching fish---go for the Big One's.

Good luck.

rlw
    Last edited by rlw; 08-03-2015 at 10:35 AM.

RLW,
    Thank you so much for the great advice, noted and logged for future reference.
    I have watched that video from Linder Media so many times I feel like I know Gail and Steve already.
    I'm hoping Gail is one of the first people I meet in camp.
    I bought the lake map of the witch bay section of LOTW. It is overwhelming and I plan to use the guides to break down to the "best places".
    If offered I will take all the time the guides will give me, I do want to become a better angler.
    Fishing for 17 inch smallies up to 57 inch muskies I have 6 rods and 3 tackle boxes full of stuff, plus a couple of specialty boxes with extras. I know 90% of the tackle I'm bringing will never get wet and is just going for a ride to Canada but I can't bring myself not to take it. Better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.
    I grew up fishing in Wisconsin throwing spoons for Northern's and have had good success pitching a jig and either plastic twister tail or minnow or leach for bass, crappies, and walleyes.
    My hang up is I have never been on a body of water with this much potential.
    Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Dave,
    Alas a comrade in arms but I won't get to camp until September 6 maybe the 5th depending on travel conditions. I'm 1500 miles away in Virginia. Thank you for the offer I wish I could take you up on it. Going up as a single I think it will be me and the guides doing a lot of talking if not fishing.

Nice fish RLW.
    I wish I was there to see the big smile on your face when you pulled up to camp.
    Sorry I missed you all this year, as I have located to Nashville and could not get up to WBC in July.
    I will however make it up there on the 15th of August and will look forward to catch the few muskies that you may have missed.
    This will be the first time in the last 15 years that I will fish up there in August. I expect that all species will be where they are supposed to be and if not I'll expect that Gail will have them trained and ready to cooperate as always.
    That's the best part of WBC. Gail trains the fish prior to your arrival.

See you all soon.

Ed

RLW
    I just got back from Witch Bay and your advice was spot on.
    I fished with Mark for most of the week, Gail kept assigning me, and due to having "follow boats" we fished for walleyes alot.
    That was fine and the action was consistent all week.
    We did fish for Muskies on Sunday and 5 were boated according to the board in the dining room. Mine was in the middle.
    She is 38 in. which means there is room for improvement on the next trip.
    We stayed in Witch and Andrews Bay all week there was no need to go anywhere else.
    I did take way more equipment than I needed but now I know.
    Thanks again for the postings, hope to see you up there sometime.

JJC,

I am glad you had a successful trip. My brothers, friends and I have fished out of Witch Bay for more than twenty (20) years. We plan to return to Witch Bay for as long as our health allows. Do not feel bad about taking extra ‘tackle’; each year we all bring a secret crankbait or spinner to try. After half a day or so we go back to the old ‘standbys’.

I hope you took a lot of pictures to share with your friends and family. It would be nice to see you on the water. I am looking forward to catching a fifty (50) inch Musky next year.

rlw
    Last edited by rlw; 09-22-2015 at 09:36 AM.