www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: wife's first fish in 2 years and 1 day short of 1 month 46.25 inches

Default wife's first fish in 2 years and 1 day short of 1 month 46.25 inches

Up for a short stay. Did not see a fish in the rain or the clouds the next morning-thursday-friday. So we only fished for a couple hours saturday night. Wife was very happy to get her first fish in 2 years. Longer than I thought it was. Fish had a long skinny butt. Forgot to turn camera on right away but got some of it.

I'll take anyones suggestions on how they hold a musky or if they know of a good video or picture of where to hold it. I know I hold my fish wrong and have my thumb hanging out to high and once in a while I get caught. Fish have been really kicking my butt this year.
    https://youtu.be/-ehKKof793U
    Attachment 24265Attachment 24266

Thats AWESOME!!! Congrats to the Mrs.
    I don't have a vid or pic to show, - and maybe you know this but heres my 2 cents....
    You need to squeeze thumb against pointer finger (HARD) when you grab fish, around that low jaw/gill bone. Thumb on top or not squeezed against finger & fish will come loose with a shake. A slippery rubber glove doesn't help either. Hope this helps some.
    btw. Thanks for all your postings, vids, pics. I see ya out there once in a while. One day I'll stop and say hi.

-Jon
    Last edited by rudedog; 07-20-2015 at 01:06 PM.

That is awesome! Tell her I said congrats. I'll see you on the water tonight maybe. I always make a fist while holding the fish. Then you know it can't get away.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

thanks as always for the help from this site. I know I should make a fist and squeeze tight. My thumb is not against the tip of my pointer finger which means no true fist and thus the problem. My problem is thumb placement. I know 100% (ok 99%) where my 4 fingers go. But should my thumb be going where the pink line is on the pics vs flopping around above the top jaw. Have tried the pink line spot in the past but did not feel comfortable with the grip (fish to small or is that spot wrong?)

thanks again.

unfortunately I am stuck back home with work, have nine days off after tomorrow but have to stay for a 5 minute presentation at work friday. But see you all on the weekend. pacemaker and rabid squirrel--my two favorites this year. (ok pacemaker--every year) Attachment 24276Attachment 24278
    rudedog and ty thanks--anyone else, thank you in advance.

Your left hand 4 fingers where the pink line is (where the one arrow points), your thumb on the outside of that (where the 2 arrows are)squeezing a fist around that jaw/gill bone that your four fingers slide under.
    On smaller fish- not enough room for a fist, then just a few fingers have to do.

thanks again. I tried that hold last year, but felt like there was not enough room. Too small of fish no doubt and I was trying all 4 fingers. Hopefully I will get to try that hold out this weekend.

I think you are holding them right. You just need smaller hands!
    Gloveless always helps but of course can give you muskie rash.
    I never felt like I had good control with my thumb on top of the snoot of the muskie either but some people do.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com