www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Adding weight to a Stillwater?!?!

Default Adding weight to a Stillwater?!?!

Ty,

As you know, Chuck's brother John has that magic Stillwater. Chuck and I were talking and I asked him if its the fact that the exposed wood soaks up a bit of water causing it to sit lower...which either slightly changes the sound or maybe sends more sound under water? Who knows. Oddly enough, Chuck said this past weekend he was watching closely and thinks my theory is highly plausible. He noticed more musky action on John's Stillwater after a little while of use on each day.

Soooo, I was wondering if you or anyone else has played around with adding weight to a Stillwater to get it to sit slightly lower in the water? If you were to try it, which hook hanger would you add the weight to? I'm thinking middle hook.

What do you think?

Dan

Never tried it but I'd guess it's more the angle of the blades than the weight. Sound of the blades makes a huge deal so try tweaking your blades some. If that doesn't work then I'd say try the weight on the middle hook.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Sennett View Post
    Never tried it but I'd guess it's more the angle of the blades than the weight. Sound of the blades makes a huge deal so try tweaking your blades some. If that doesn't work then I'd say try the weight on the middle hook.
    Thanks Ty. How do you tweak the blades? If i order the blades 1 through 3 from nose to tail, which blades do you tune and which way do you angle the blades? Most of my Stillwaters, which are fairly new, have blades that look relatively straight.

Alternatively, next time I'm over at Chuck's and in his garage, I'll swap out Stillwaters. Give his brother Johnny a new one, and say that the older one needs to be "fixed" (and I'm the man for the job). HAHA. Actually, I'm gonna take a cell picture of it, and see how the blades are positioned. I asked Chuck if it was one that you had played around with, and Chuck said "no". We're both convinced it's the bait soaking up water and sitting lower in the water. Who knows...but we gotta play around and figure this out!

Way too hard to explain or even explain in a picture. Just move the back blades forward or backwards some until you get the noise you want. I've never had one that worked better because it soaked up water. Usually that's when I retire them. I've done better with the newer ones because they float better.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com