www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Questions

Default Questions

Hello, I will be coming to tff the 29th of June til the 3rd of July. Just have a few questions. First off, any recommendations for a campsite with a sand beach. I'll be putting in at fisherman or springsteed landings. Two, I will be ok with a fiberglass boat as long as I take my time like I plan correct? And finally, what do you recommend for keeping bait alive for the week? Minnows and crawlers. Any other suggestions also? Giddy with excitement like a little school girl lol. Thanks in advance.

OK, no one else has replied, I'm starting to feel like a campground host here.

From Springstead landing or Fisherman's campsites with less rock shorelines are F-7, F-10, R-17, R-18, F-12, R-22, F-13 F-14, F-15 and R-27. If you're coming in on a Monday you should find one. Play the wind when making your selection for the week you're there.

If you have a fiberglass boat you'll be OK as long as you remember a couple of things: 1) go slow 2) Don't trust your locator chip chip 3) Don't be surprised if you hit stuff in what's supposed to be 15 feet of water 4) TFF educations come with a shuddering clunk, expletive deleteds, and a trip to your friendly prop repairman. Carry 2. I think my Humminbird GPS screen has more skull and crossbones icons than fish cribs marked.

Keeping bait alive, minnows do OK if it doesn't get to hot in a flow-troll bucket, and as long as you keep crawlers in a cold cooler they're OK. Somewhere along the week you may need ice and bait, and even gas, there are a couple of options. One is to run over to Donner's Bay, always good for gas, ice and a beer in a seat that doesn't rock back and forth. I heard from them at the Wausau Musky show this winter that they picked up St. Croix's old minnow tanks too. Haven't been there yet this year, so I can't verify you can get minnows there or not.

The other option from the Springstead landing is to make a run to the Springstead Trading post. Head back down flowage road to 182, go about 4-5 miles east, they're open late and carry gas, ice and bait.

Have fun, be safe, take a weather radio with you and don't forget to feed the donation bin slot at each landing.

We just finished up a 10-day run with commuting to work last week. Running to the Springstead landing at 5:30 am to leave is like going back in to work at 5:00 pm... but there's no where else I'd rather sleep. We almost switched sites (because of the 10-day rule) on Sunday and commuted to work this week.

I've been taking my fiberglass boat to the Flowage for about 15 years now. Have I hit things? Absolutely. You just have to use good judgement. There's no need to go wide open throttle to get from one spot to the next. Also, just because you were in an area the day before and didn't bump anything, that doesn't mean something isn't lurking just below the surface today. So far in 15 years, the flowage has only claimed one prop from me.. /knock on wood.. Tight lines and Happy fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrynrita View Post
    I think my Humminbird GPS screen has more skull and crossbones icons than fish cribs marked.
    Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one using that icon,,,,,

And yes, the TFF got a prop from me this year, first time in a long time.

HRG

Attachment 23792

There are two kinds of people on the TFF...those who have hit stuff, broken props and lower units and those who are going to hit stuff, break props and lower units. I am long time multiple occurrence member of the first group.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Thanks very much guys. Also, are there boat launch fees? If so do you just pay them in advance?

No fees, no state park sticker required.... but there is a donation slot located next to the bulletin board and map station at Springstead landing for sure, and probably the others too...feel free to kick in!!

As far as props go, me and some guys are renting two boats in a few weeks, first time on the TFF. We are budgeting for the prop replacement fee for at least one of the boats. I'd like to think I'll never go full throttle, but I tend to get cocky once I've passed through an area a few times while studying the depth finder. Have to remember there are trees under there.

The flowage is full pool. That will help as far as hitting anything

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Going back to the first question, Donners Bay Resort has minnows in their newly renovated bait house. They also have some fishing tackle, along with ice, pizzas, beer, soda, etc. Enjoy your time on Wisconsin's Wilderness Waters Area.

I've been fishing the flowage for the last sixteen years. It's surely is a unique & beautiful body of water! I am not aware of any campsites with truly "sandy" beaches...but I have not been to them all so, I can't say there aren't any either. As for the dangers, there are many. I too have lost a prop, but I've also gotten smarter over the years. I lost the prop to a stump while I was going 5 MPH. Now, I have specially marked way point markers that I follow as my proven safe routes on my locator. I also have two GPS units, with separate chips, running at the same time, so I can "sanity check" my location, and I always have a backup if one fails. I probably go much faster than most of the people on this board (other than Blue), my theory being that the boat sits significantly lower in the water when you are going slow (I know it's a poor excuse). Of course, That doesn't rule out floating logs, stumps and driftwood floating into my "safe path". I also always have a few sets of eyes, in addition to my own, keeping a watch out for floating wood. I also like to utilize the "water level offset" function on my Humminbird. Remember the flowage level is constantly changing. Springstead landing has a water level indicator stick. I make the water level adjustment on the locator before I leave the landing. In my opinion, the most dangerous water level is when it's 1.5' to 2' down. Literally hundreds, maybe thousands of stumps just inches below that level. My best advice to you is not to follow my example and take your time, and enjoy the scenery. If not, make sure you have a good relationship with your insurance adjuster! LOL! Have fun!
    "Try not! Do, or do not....there is no try."