www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: How are the bugs?

Default How are the bugs?

I haven't really noticed any mention of bugs so far this year. I'm hoping thats a good sign? The last couple years the mosquitos were so bad by mid June that my wife and kids didn't want to leave the cabin. Should I pack the mosquito netting again? See you guys in 11 days. Until then, Tight lines.. Phil

I will be following this thread with great interest. I am praying for a freakish June frost, approximately one week before my trip in June.

Not bad at all. We just spent 4 days out there and the mosquitoes and black flies were very tolerable. I don't think I put on bug spray twice in that time Got home last nite to our house 15 miles away and were immediately attacked by hordes of them... I think the water level around the TFF is pretty constant so you don't see the variation year to year.

There is a small mayfly hatch going on that the fish are rising for. Wish I had had the fly rod.

We just got back on Sun. and were there for 12 days the bugs were bad for the first 2 days and then with the cooler temps it was bare able we had a good week and but on warmer days it got bad. But there were times were you walked out the door and you inhaled bugs. just hope for cool weather and wind ……Just a fun fact did you know a mosquito can't land in the wind ….not a joke its true..good luck and tight lines . We also had a good moon faze and we did well

We are bringing one of those large mesh gazebos to our campsite this year. Hopefully that will help. It's usually not so bad when you are out on the water, so more reason to get out fishing. Would be nice to have a smaller mesh gazebo to put over the toilet. There are few things worse than getting swarmed while you're dropping a deuce. Your skin is unavoidably exposed, and in some sensitive areas!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMilker View Post
    We are bringing one of those large mesh gazebos to our campsite this year. Hopefully that will help. It's usually not so bad when you are out on the water, so more reason to get out fishing. Would be nice to have a smaller mesh gazebo to put over the toilet. There are few things worse than getting swarmed while you're dropping a deuce. Your skin is unavoidably exposed, and in some sensitive areas!
    I bet a thermacell inside one of those gazebos would do a nice job. I've had the pit toilet torture test... not cool. Whatever you do, there is no such thing as overkill for the bugs you'll likely encounter. When I was up a week ago, that snow and cold knocked the bugs, including the ticks, completely out. The week before that, my buddy in Ironwood said they were lifting him off the ground.

So I was up working on my shack for a couple days, the ticks are bad, the mosquitoes are not a factor yet, but there are all sorts of big flies ramping up. Good news, there were tons of dragonflies.

Since I'm up here now, I'll answer my own question for anyone still following the thread. So far in the three 3 days that I've been here I haven't had to use bug spray yet. Minimal amounts of mosquitoes until dusk but the ticks have been more noticeable than in past years. I did notice a couple small green mayflies on my boat this morning.