Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
Trolling is not for the true fisherman. You call yourself a fisherman, but the motor allows you to catch fish. I realize that professional fishermen troll, but they're pretty much forced to. They usually don't have the time to figure out the puzzle. Since they have a client for 1 day or maybe even 1/2 day, they have to deliver and quickly. That means covering water. To me that's just not fishing. Sit on your ass, crack open a beer and turn on the motor???

My dad taught me to fish. Every summer we went to a different lake in northern Wisconsin (until we went to the TFF in 1960 - that place touched his heart and we went back every year until he couldn't fish any longer), and by the 2nd day he was catching walleyes. By Thursday of that week, other guys in the resort were following us around because they hadn't even smelled a walleye yet. I remember the time there was a guy staying at our resort at a lake near Minocqua. He had a really decked out boat (for 1957 or so) with a padded seat, a radio, and whatever else was available at that time. He hadn't caught a fish and he asked my dad why as we were getting ready to head out. My dad looked at him and told him he was too God%#@(*& comfortable.

I've gone fishing 2 times in my life with guys who trolled, and all they did was haphazardly motor around until they encountered a fish. It was as boring as hell, and I gave credit to the motor at the end of the day, which actually pissed one of them off. That was 25 years ago. Haven't trolled since I don't ever plan to troll again. This is just my humble opinion, being a real fisherman and all.

One more thing. Trolling will mean more line in the water due to break offs, and ultimately the death of more loons.
I'm with you I get the Great Lakes but not other lakes. No need to troll.