www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Trolling

Default Trolling

Rig them up boys and girls trolling will start July 1. One line per person in the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by firetiger View Post
    Rig them up boys and girls trolling will start July 1. One line per person in the boat.
    That is the best news in years for the state of Wisconsin. Most fishermen return the big fish back into the water anyway.
    I'm sure that the guides are not happy, but it evens the odds of catching for us "once a weekend" a year guys.
    Tom

Default Really???

Trolling is not for the true fisherman. You call yourself a fisherman, but the motor allows you to catch fish. I realize that professional fishermen troll, but they're pretty much forced to. They usually don't have the time to figure out the puzzle. Since they have a client for 1 day or maybe even 1/2 day, they have to deliver and quickly. That means covering water. To me that's just not fishing. Sit on your ass, crack open a beer and turn on the motor???

My dad taught me to fish. Every summer we went to a different lake in northern Wisconsin (until we went to the TFF in 1960 - that place touched his heart and we went back every year until he couldn't fish any longer), and by the 2nd day he was catching walleyes. By Thursday of that week, other guys in the resort were following us around because they hadn't even smelled a walleye yet. I remember the time there was a guy staying at our resort at a lake near Minocqua. He had a really decked out boat (for 1957 or so) with a padded seat, a radio, and whatever else was available at that time. He hadn't caught a fish and he asked my dad why as we were getting ready to head out. My dad looked at him and told him he was too God%#@(*& comfortable.

I've gone fishing 2 times in my life with guys who trolled, and all they did was haphazardly motor around until they encountered a fish. It was as boring as hell, and I gave credit to the motor at the end of the day, which actually pissed one of them off. That was 25 years ago. Haven't trolled since I don't ever plan to troll again. This is just my humble opinion, being a real fisherman and all.

One more thing. Trolling will mean more line in the water due to break offs, and ultimately the death of more loons.

Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Trolling is not for the true fisherman. You call yourself a fisherman, but the motor allows you to catch fish. I realize that professional fishermen troll, but they're pretty much forced to. They usually don't have the time to figure out the puzzle. Since they have a client for 1 day or maybe even 1/2 day, they have to deliver and quickly. That means covering water. To me that's just not fishing. Sit on your ass, crack open a beer and turn on the motor???

My dad taught me to fish. Every summer we went to a different lake in northern Wisconsin (until we went to the TFF in 1960 - that place touched his heart and we went back every year until he couldn't fish any longer), and by the 2nd day he was catching walleyes. By Thursday of that week, other guys in the resort were following us around because they hadn't even smelled a walleye yet. I remember the time there was a guy staying at our resort at a lake near Minocqua. He had a really decked out boat (for 1957 or so) with a padded seat, a radio, and whatever else was available at that time. He hadn't caught a fish and he asked my dad why as we were getting ready to head out. My dad looked at him and told him he was too God%#@(*& comfortable.

I've gone fishing 2 times in my life with guys who trolled, and all they did was haphazardly motor around until they encountered a fish. It was as boring as hell, and I gave credit to the motor at the end of the day, which actually pissed one of them off. That was 25 years ago. Haven't trolled since I don't ever plan to troll again. This is just my humble opinion, being a real fisherman and all.

One more thing. Trolling will mean more line in the water due to break offs, and ultimately the death of more loons.
    I'm with you I get the Great Lakes but not other lakes. No need to troll.

incredibly small minded opinion on trolling. it is just another tool to utilize when fishing. it is not simply "the motor allows you to catch fish"
    there are trolling depth calculations to consider, speed, structure, lure choice, etc etc
    it is a go to technique here on the St Croix river especially in the lake section. to each his own and if it's legal why not utilize it to catch more fish

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by St Croix Kid View Post
    incredibly small minded opinion on trolling. it is just another tool to utilize when fishing. it is not simply "the motor allows you to catch fish"
    there are trolling depth calculations to consider, speed, structure, lure choice, etc etc
    it is a go to technique here on the St Croix river especially in the lake section. to each his own and if it's legal why not utilize it to catch more fish
    Some people have principles that count. Others ignore respect for the out doors to justify their ignorance. Trolling is one of those items that should not be allowed. So those that do it and try to justify it with poor justification are the ones who love to wreck the out doors being really selfish minded. Kind of like those that like to spear a body of water and over harvest . No real good reason for any of that. I certainly hope those that do troll manage to break a few rods along the way as retribution for ignorance of right and wrong.

Don, I agree with what you are stating. Well said also.

are you really comparing trolling with spearing?? "wrecking the outdoors"? that is a little extreme don't you think? the body of water I fish and occasionally troll on is by no means "wrecked"
    obviously you haven't spent any time trolling. you should try it. it's legal now

Wow. Unbelievable the moralizing about single-rod trolling. You know, there are fly fisherman who look down on spincasting people as not being real fisherman because it takes less skill. And according to your logic, they would be right.

And there are people who look down upon using live bait as cheating. Certainly, fishing live bait from any type of bobber rig takes objectively less skill than trolling. After all, the bait is doing all the work. So I assume you must morally oppose that as well, right?

I guess high def sonar, lake map chips, and trolling motors should be classified as "wrecking the outdoors" also

Honestly, I don't even do much trolling. I find it boring.

The most trolling I've done has been on some remote fly-in lakes in Canada (they allow single rod trolling) and I usually just end up snagged moreso than catching walleyes. Jigging has been way more effective at taking fish out of the lake than trolling, at least for me.

Looks like Ol'widcat did it again----------------- stirred up the pot------------
    Tom

healthy debate is always good but doesn't really matter at this point. it is approved by WDNR.
    trolling is a lot more than simply throwing your lure over the side of the boat and engaging motor. it takes practice.

I wasn't going to dignify this thread with a response...but I couldn't help myself.
    My short response is "get real!" Are you a "real" fisherman if you drift fish? Who gets
    the credit then, Mother Nature? How far are we going to take this...you are a "real"
    fisherman if you build your own boat, row, and use a cane pole? Come on and get serious!
    It is only another tool in the toolbelt. You can troll in Canada, you can troll in the UP,
    you can troll on the Wisconsin River, Winnebago, Leech, and so on and so on...and none of
    those fisheries have been decimated due to trolling. Honestly,I prefer jig fishing, and I
    agree that it takes more skill. But on a very slow day, when you're trying to show young
    kids some action, it might be the only option left. Trust me when I say, "The world will
    not come to an end with the advent of trolling on the TFF."
    "Try not! Do, or do not....there is no try."

"Change" is sometimes hard to adjust to, I started fishing the TFF in 1963, -------- Joe Popko would only use nitecrawlers
    for bait and never allowed minnows----------- Joe Golumb only used Rapala"s----------- Orv Donner only used "Bang'o' lures
    and I hired all of them as well as my friend Earl Tomek for muskies. Everyone to "his" own.
    See you all at Shane and mollies and lets laugh about the fun times,while we still can.
    Tom

1988 was my first year. too many memories and still making them with my friend Mr Pemble every opening day.

Default Interesting Feedback

Seems we have a lot of passion on this issue, both for and against. How easy do we want fishing to get? Sonar, Side Imaging Sonar (in case you don't go exactly right over the fish), under water cameras (in case you missed it with your side imaging sonar), trolling motors that hold a contour and depth, and the list goes on and on. I used nothing but a flasher in my boat until it broke down. Now I have a simple Hummingbird and it is all I need. Show me the depth and if the bottom is hard or soft and I'll try to figure out the rest.

I've seen boats so decked out with electronics, I'd feel ashamed to own that boat and get skunked.

I love to fish. I love the challenge. If you see a fish on your side imaging sonar, drop down your camera to check the species, and then catch that fish - was that fishing or playing some sort of video game?

Our group hired Don Pemble a couple of years ago. We had a group of 9 guys, so he took us out 1 boat at a time for 2 or 3 hours per boat. My instructions to him were that we didn't give a hoot about catching fish, we just wanted him to show us some areas where he's had success and we'd take it from there.

My son-in-law wants me to join him on a guided trip in Green Bay next spring. He caught some really big fish on a trip this year, but he also knows I won't go because they motor trolled all day.

I also guarantee you that the average guy trolling is aimlessly motoring around. I understand the theory of trolling is following a breakline, etc., but the average guy trolling wouldn't know a breakline from a breakdance. Yet he will consider himself a fisherman because he stumbled on a walleye after traveling 14 miles!

On one matter, I do agree with the St. Croix Kid. The memories. I do wish I had taken photos of the flowage itself rather than just the fish we caught. You cannot believe the logs and trees (yes trees) that made every trip an adventure. Every tackle box had to have a supply of shear pins and the whining of a motor that had just sheared a pin was heard several times a day.

Camping on an island and hearing the howl of wolves. My dad started taking me up there when I was 13. I started taking my kids up there when they were 6 or 7, but we stayed at O'Meara's resort. When they turned 11 or so, we started camping.

They are now 41 and 40 and are a big part of our spring and fall trips. Great stuff to spend several days with your sons at a place like the TFF. Does it get any better, I'm not sure!

One thing for sure is we all love that body of water. I enjoy the stories from before I started visiting.

Being a relative "newbie" to the TFF, my brothers-in-law started taking me with them about 15 years ago or so, I do like the GPS function on my locator...those "breadcrumbs" will get you to the spots and back, without banging up a prop...although, I did bang one up a few years back going around Rat Lake toward Beaver Flats, and was right on the line...water was down a little...put a skull and cross bones in that spot! Best Fishes to all of you this year...I'll be watching and reading right here in Michigan...however you chose to fish!

Default Bang up a prop?Hi Nick,

Hi Nick - So you've banged up a prop. I have a feeling you're not alone. Our spring trip is the first week of June, so tonight the 3 of us with boats are getting together to replace the trailer bearings. We do this every spring.

My brother-in-law has sunk (yes, sunk) 2 boats on the TFF. He was able to get both boats back to the resort, but they were both totaled. Ripped big holes in the bottom. He also once sheared all 3 blades off his prop.

He has a 90 HP Evinrude and now runs it at about 5 mph when moving from spot to spot. When he's heading back to the resort he's going at a pretty good clip, but making those inbetween spot to spot trips where you're not exactly sure, he's really careful.

I'm pretty sure most boats out there are carrying an extra prop. I know I do, and I've been fishing the TFF since 1960. To be honest, I rarely hit anything, but then with all my time on the water, I shouldn't, but that extra prop will always be with me.

Good Luck out there to all.

So my dad is 85 years plus he taught us how to fish it really hard for him to get around .so what you are saying is that he should stay at home because you don't like trolling. If you don't like trolling don't do it. I'm not a big fan of jigging so I don't do it...I heard that next year there will be a size limit

Some response's are incredibly Stupid on this issue... IT IS OK to hire a guide to show you how and where to fish---and that's considered FISHING--from a guy who is a FISHERMAN. Trolling --effective trolling is not just motoring around the lake hoping to stumble onto a fish...there is so much more than that----I fish ( cast and Live bait jig ) 80% of the time---and 100% of the time on smaller bodies of water---I also TROLL many Large bodies of water---sometimes to locate fish and others time to specifically TARGET AND CATCH a certain species. there is a SkiLL / Art / Knowledge of trolling that it takes to consistently catch fish... and 1 line per operon trolling is not going to harm and fishery. I have seen Guys SLAM spawning walleyes----Murder spawning crappie populations on small lakes---but that is FISHING....these types of FISHERMEN do way more harm to a like than any single line troller will do. To each their own---IF IT's LEGAl for a licensed ANGLER to troll--and he chooses to do so--then its fine with me.... I also know people in mercer--Lake owners--who keep every LEGAL MUSKY they stumble on to---because they think the Musky eat all their walleye----and you know what--while I don't agree--- a legally caught fish is theirs to do with what they want..... GIVE IT A REST--all you FISHERMEN

Esox...Michigan just started a one legal and done for keeping...you have to pick up a tag, tag the fish, and you can't keep another legal fish until the following season. You can catch and release all you want though...which is what I do. The have been some good studies done that say that the pike fry harvest a ton of walleye fry, due to the fact that the pike spawn earlier than walleye, and even eat Musky fry too. Best fishes to you all.

Well said esox.
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.