www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Reliability,Feasibility.Pearsonability

Default Reliability,Feasibility.Pearsonability

Hi folks.As many know I've always been somewhat 'challenged' mechanically.That apparently is not going to improve with age.I'm still on warranty but that's close to expiration as well.Seems with age new challenges keep arising.I can get a golf cart to take me to the dock,Frank n Laura have graciously installed a 'ski lift' to get me from there to my 'rap' machine,but then what?One of these days my trolling motor is going to win and 'deploy' me into the water.
    With that background I would appreciate any input on the reliability and ease of use of the Mn Kota 'Ulterra' and 'Terrova' trolling motors.
    Reliable?Preferred options?24 or 36 volt?I-Pilot or I Pilot Link?Shaft size(careful now),etc.
    On the 'Ulterra',is the self deployment feature holding up?Heard a few scary tales and remember the 'Genesis'.
    Any n all comments appreciated.Thanks.

You could always hire Ruhmann to deploy your trusty Foretrex. He does not take up much room, and is a lot cheaper than a new Terrova. As to the "anchor" feature, Ruhmann could throw over a 10# Danforth, well maybe a 5# one as required.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Web Site: http://www.baystorecamp.com

Sounds a bit shortsighted to me.

Hey, I resemble that remark. DP, the ease of lowering and raising the Terrova is much easier than the old Auto Pilot versions. I love my Terrova, it was a lot easier on my broken back last year. In regards to these type of trolling motors, I remember Rich Trumbull bought one and broke it fairly quick up there. He said they were not tough enough to handle the continuous abuse that the Woods dishes out. You can make your own assumptions from there. I think you should get the Ulterra and ask Minn Kota to allow you to be a field tester. The way you abuse equipment, you are bound to find all the weaknesses in their design. Then the rest of us could buy a bullet proof product in a couple of years.

Steve

Thanks Steve,good news.
    As to a 'tester',most have wised up as to me by now.

Hi Dick,
    Jerry and Dad (Gordon) both have Terrovas on the boats. Both are 24 volt with 60" shaft and I-Pilot (with foot pedal). We've never had cable driven trolling motors so can't compare. However we had no problems with the Terrova and find them easy to use (even me). We've talked Dad into upgrading to the Ulterra though for the self-deployment (don't want to lose him overboard wrestling with the trolling motor in rough water). He has one "on order" and was told they are 6-weeks out for delivery. We are hoping it comes before our trip to LOW. He will be looking to sell his one-year old Terrova in case anyone is interested--only used for one week on LOW! Looking forward to seeing our LOW Family July 4-10!

Lisa, I have someone looking for a used Terrova, so let me know what you want for it, and specs. on the motor.

However, I think I would keep it a while, and bring it with, incase he had an issue with the Ulterra. Just nervous with unproven complex technology.
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Thanks Lisa.Have your dad bring it.If he doesn't need it and Franks guy doesn't,I might.

I have read that there is a total recall on Minnkota Ulterra trolling motors, and all sales have been stopped. Some sort of software problem.
    Think I'd give Minnkota a call to see what's going on?

Doug Johnson

Thanks Doug.

Prop blocked!.....bummer.

Leave it to Jeff to know all about "self deployed"!!!!!!!
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Hahaha. I couldn't help myself.

I recently installed a motor guide Xi5 very easy to deploy and stow. compared to a Terrova I think it is ten times better. the response the quietness and 2 GPS receivers really are impressive when it comes to anchor lock auto pilot and trail saving capabilities. I have been a min Kota guy my whole life but very impressed with the MotorGuide. they come with a wireless foot pedal and a remote hand control device. and a hundred bucks cheaper than the terrova.

Thanks Ed.Goofy site won't let me log in normally so will try this.Anyway these responses and a few e-mails have convinced me that if I keep this boat I'll keep my Fortrex.
    Dick

Screw the Ulterra, screw the Terrova, and screw the Motor Guide. This is the answer!!!!!

Attachment 23695
    Walsh's Bay Store Camp
    Frank Walsh

Great shot.

I'm impressed both by the tr motor and the fact I got logged in.