www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Walleye proposal 2015 from DNR

Default Walleye proposal 2015 from DNR

only get to keep 1 walleye over 14"? Oh Gawd!

HRG

I'm certainly not enthusiast about this proposal regarding fishing the TFF. I would be very enthusiast if I regularly fished waters with a limit of 0, 1 or 2. But since the TFF typically has a 3 fish limit with no minimum length, this is detrimental to the TFF fisherman/women. Hopefully there will be some adjustments if adopted, like upping the length from 14 to 15 inches. I do like the concept, but not the proposed 14 inch constraint on 'no minimum length' waters.

The no size limit still remains on the TFF, so please relax. Only change out there is that the bag limit will be 3 on the Bear and Manitowish Rivers.

Don's Guide Service
    Don Pemble

I thought the restriction on not keeping anything between 20 - 24 inches also represented a change. I honestly don't see that any of this matters, as the elephant is never leaving the room.

Well there always are changes up until the day that it opens. Its starting to look good up there and Don good to see you are posting hope all is well, I take it you will be guiding this year. Good seasons to all

Contact your local DNR rep and ask him or her about the current regs on the TFF, I never heard anything about not keeping walleye between 20 and 24 inches, that's a personal choice if you so decide, not a change or restriction.
    Don Pemble

Yes it is looking good up here, warmer weather will sure take it's toll on the ice, looking forward to open water and yes, I will be guiding this year.

Don's Guide Service
    715-776-0098
    dpemble@centurytel.net
    Don Pemble

My mistake in that I forgot the flowage is in the "no minimum size" category and as such the 20 - 24" slot would not apply here.

Don, Great to hear you're going to be guiding again this summer. I'm more of a lurker on this site, but love reading your reports. It sounds to me like the big change is the fact that only one of the three walleyes kept can be 14" or longer (like hot runr guy mentioned). I'm not a fan of keeping larger walleyes and have always released fish over 18", but I'm not sure I like having to keep 13 inchers if looking for a meal. I'd personally prefer a protected slot like Canadian and Minnesota lakes. I think protecting fish from 17"-28" with only one over for a trophy would be great. Maybe in the future we might actually see more trophies again. Otherwise increasing the "one over" to 15" or 16" would be more tolerable. A least then a guy could take a few 15 inchers.

I was wondering if this is just the initial phase in the slot limit system. Having an easy to understand statewide rule would be ideal and I like the idea of 18-28" being off limits with only one over.

Now if the DNR will do what Minnesota did for minimum points on deer and I'd be very happy.
    Matt

Sniper,

There is no minimum or slot size on the flowage, just a bag limit, the flowage was not included in the one over 14 inch rule.
    Don Pemble

That would be good news Don. I was getting my info from the press release that said all lakes with no minimum size limit would fall under the "only one 14 inches or longer" rule. It's mentioned in the second bullet point.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdo...297605291.html

That would be good news Don. If you read the initial proposal, it sure sounds like it. I interpreted this from the second bullet point in the following article.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdo...297605291.html

Good to know. Be nice to be able to bring a few filets home if we choose!
    See you on opener Don

Sharpen your hooks SteveO, will hammer them. See you on May 2nd.
    Don Pemble

We always do when you are guiding!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pemble View Post
    Sharpen your hooks SteveO, will hammer them. See you on May 2nd.
    hey Don, save a few for our trip on the 17th!

Terry & Joe

Will do, looking forward to it.
    Don Pemble

2015-2016 regulations are posted, but I can't get the file size small enough to attach.

So, here's a link http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...89&postcount=1

HRG