www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Flyfishing Musky Tournament/Gathering

Default Flyfishing Musky Tournament/Gathering

Hey guys, looks like a tournament/gathering is in the works for sections of the Allegheny and Tionesta Creek. At this point, it looks to be scheduled for April 10th and 11th. Should be cool to see how many Musky flies they can get in the waters up there. Check out the facebook page for Nittany Valley Musky Alliance for additional info.

https://www.facebook.com/NVMAInc

*READ ENTIRE PACKET. ANGLER’S RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW RULES AND DETAILS.
    ‘Beast of the East’ Tournament
    Packet Nittany Valley Musky Alliance, Muskies Inc. Chapter 64 Contact: Patrick (814) 421-6502/ nvmainc@gmail.com
    Headquarters:
    Allegheny River Fly Fishing Co. 418 Pennsylvania Ave. W. Warren, Penn. 16365 (814) 706.4900
    Fee: $75.00/ angler must be paid by check. Check is payable to “Muskies Inc. Chapter 64”. Entry fee for entire team must be paid at the same time. Mail check to Patrick Krumenacker, 175 Industrial Park Rd., Ebensburg, Penn. 15931. Include all team members’ names, an email address and a team name in correspondence. Registration ends March 30, 2015

Schedule:
    Thurs. 4/9-
    -Captain’s meeting 7:30 pm at Allegheny River Fly Fishing Co., 418 Pennsylvania Ave. W. Warren, PA (one person from the team must attend one of the Capts. meetings. No need to attend both)
    Fri. 4/10-
    -Captain’s meeting 6:30 am at Allegheny River Fly Fishing Co., 418 Pennsylvania Ave. W. Warren, PA (one person from the team must attend one of the Capts. meetings. No need to attend both)
    -Tournament begins at 8 am.
    -Tournament ends at 5 pm.
    -Shuttle pick-up 5:30 pm.
    *Please report Friday catches to us via e-mail at nvmainc@gmail.com. We will post standings on Facebook that evening.

Sat. 4/11-
    -Tournament begins at 8 am.
    -Tournament ends at 4pm. (ALL ANGLERS MUST HAVE CATCH INFORMATION TO TOURNAMENT HQ by 6:15pm)
    -Shuttle pick up at 4:30 pm.
    -Dinner and awards at 6:30 pm at Warren Elks Lodge, 341 Hickory St., Warren, PA
    RULES:
    1. Fly Fishing only. This means commonly available rods, reels, lines, tippet and leader material.
    2. Multiple hook flies are permitted. No Treble Hooks.
    3. Hooks must be barbless or barbs bent down.
    4. No angler may be in possession of any other gear other than fly fishing gear.
    5. Only registered tournament anglers are allowed in the boat.
    6. No angler may fish within 100 feet of any angler who is registered in the tournament. Be respectful of each other!
    7. All laws of the State of Pennsylvania must be obeyed.
    8. Leaving the boat to wade is permitted.
    9. All anglers will have to sign the liability waiver at the end of the packet. Please print this out and bring it with you.
    10. Tournament director’s (TD) decisions are final. Any issues should be directed to TD. Patrick Krumenacker is serving as TD for this event.

1. A member from each team must attend one of the Captain’s meetings.
    2. In bounds waters is the Allegheny River from Kinzua Dam down to the boat launch in the village of President ($3 dollar usage for launch in President), Tionesta dam (Nebraska Bridge down to dam breast & including Tionesta creek below to its confluence with Allegheny.)
    3. Three shuttle points will be set up along the River at designated take outs. Anglers must sign up for the shuttle at the Captain’s meeting Thursday night or Friday morning. Anglers must go to tournament HQ to sign up for Saturday’s shuttle. Shuttle points will be announced during Captain’s meetings.
    4. It is each team’s responsibility to be at the take out within 15 minutes of the end of fishing hours for that day. (At the time you receive this packet, details are still be worked out for the shuttle. We may offer a morning shuttle instead of afternoon. So, be sure to attend one of the Captain’s meetings to sign up and get final details.)

Scoring / Prizes
    1. Anglers will provide their own digital camera. Each angler will be provided with a numbered event chip that must appear in the photo. It is the angler’s responsibility to submit photo or photos that clearly communicate the size of each fish to be scored.
    2. Fish will be scored by length measured from end of lower jaw to tip of tail. Points will be awarded per inch. (1”= 1 point, 2”= 2 point, etc.) *ALL FRACTIONS WILL BE ROUNDED UP.
    3. For team competition total amassed points will determine 1st- 3rd place.
    4. Fish must be handled with extreme care and released alive. No points will be awarded for injured or dead fish.
    5. Anglers must be at the checkout before the deadline or no points will be awarded.
    6. Anglers must fish in teams of 2 or 3 people.
    7. Wading only teams are limited to two people.
    8. Only two anglers on a team can fish at a time.
    9. In the situation of a tie, the team or individual that caught a fish first will take precedence.
    Payout
    1. Teams 1st to 3rd place total points will receive cash payouts.
    2. Anglers that land 1st to 3rd longest musky receive physical prize.

I sure hope the water cooperates with this outing. The driftboats and smaller anchors will not be ideal as river levels are usually the highest of the year during this time frame. April is the worst time to have an outing like this up here. Maybe Lady Luck will be on your side.......

Jay, just letting you know so you can plan accordingly.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Red,

Thanks for the info, I couldn't agree more with you. I personally am skipping this event. I'd have to use 2 vacation days and like you said, the weather/water conditions is a huge question mark at that time of year. It would still be nice to meet up with a bunch of Musky guys, but looks like I'll just have to wait for the next one. I hope they get lucky and have good conditions for the event. The way Mother Nature likes to torture me, its probably a good thing that I'm not going. Gives the rest of them a better chance at good conditions. LOL

I keep getting calls about this tournament and I have nothing to do with it. All I have heard is there are 6 or so teams registered thus far............not 75-100 teams (that had been reported by a few guys who were passing along information that they had received.)

For the record, I am not associated with this tournament in any way, shape or form nor am I guiding any fly fishing teams as they prepare for this 'gathering'.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

12 teams thus far (reportedly).
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Red,

My bad, I probably shouldn't have posted all the details on this site. I could see how it might make it look like you are directly involved with this event.

Jay

No sweat, Jay. I really don't think that your post has much to do with it anyway. I just think that when some people hear musky fishing and the Allegheny river near Warren, they probably think of me or do a web search and my ugly mug shows up.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

LMAO Well, I can definitely see the connection when doing a search for Musky and the Allegheny.

High water on the way tomorrow and even higher for the following several days. Lots of stained stuff coming thru the gates as well. Gonna make for some almost impossible fly-tournament conditions, unfortunately.

Be safe out there!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

River levels continue to rise and discharge forecast for the weekend will be about a foot higher than it is at the moment. I would seriously consider fishing Tionesta Lake if it is not too brown because the river is very high and will be super high South of Warren.

Just my .02 cents.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Sounds like there were some muskies caught today during the tourney. Not certain about details but I heard 4 were caught as of 2pm or so today.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Seen two boat out today between warm water discharge of refinery and railroad bridge by Mohawk Ave. both boats were rowers, river seemed high for rowing as only power, not sure if these anglers were in the tournament or not. Kind of risky for high water in my opinion. Hope all were safe !

Our paper reported that there were 2 fish over 40" caught with one being a 47-inch hog caught "near Tionesta". It appears that same boat caught a 35 inch fish so it was likely from the Tionesta area as well.

I ended up cancelling my trips for this weekend due to safety issues since my boat has no oars and would be unsafe to navigate with only my trolling motor if we had engine troubles.

Congrats to those who put fish in the net under very tough conditions!
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress