www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: First musky and wild story to boot.

Default First musky and wild story to boot.

Rose and Nick spent the weekend chasing muskies, smallmouth and walleye with me over the weekend. Rose managed to catch her first musky on Saturday while targeting them. Her pic is below. Nick, on the other hand, almost had his first musky without even having his lure in the water at the time of the strike. While Nick and I were briefly talking (right after he finished his fig-8 and pulled his bait out of the water) his bait was still hanging just above the surface where he had just completed the 8 and all of a sudden this very big musky jumps in the air and nips at Nick's bait. Nick had just began to slowly move his bait upward in preparation for his next cast but was still turned around talking to me and did not see the fish at all. Rose and I saw it and looked at each other in disbelief. Nick heard a small splash but thought nothing of it which was amazing because a fish that size should be making more noise when it breaks water........it reminded me of a dolphin.

Anyway, had Nick not moved his lure higher in the air at that exact moment, we would have likely seen a musky get hooked in mid-air on a Big Game twitch bait. Weird stuff for sure.

Attachment 22794
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

I've never caught a fish jumping up to hit a lure above water!! Only ever had a fish (trout) take a fly by jumping out and then down onto a dry fly. Hope your enjoying some rain free weather (just in time to return to school).

Congrats.......sounds like lots of laughs on that trip. What it's all about

Good Story. I just had one hit my bait while it was laying in the water, but never above the waterline... that's crazy.
    Congratulations to Rose. I would love to get my wife onto a fish.