Hard to believe another summer is nearly done.... kids are back to school, seeing cooler days and nights and darkness is coming near 8PM already. Time goes by so very fast at Boreal Bay and the only solution is to spend more time here to enjoy it with Family and Friends.

A few weeks ago we lost another one of our guests.... he died. He had been a Boreal Bay lodge guest for a few years. He was a really good man who loved his family and his country. Agent Orange is the likely cause to his death. I feel that we all owe so much to the service men and women who were willing to give so much, so that the rest of us could enjoy freedom. Knowing his time was short, his “bucket list” contained only two items.... one item was family related and the other was a 3 week trip to Boreal Bay Lodge with his wife. He fished many places in the US and Canada and something made us a special place. As an owner, it is important for us to understand how people feel about Boreal Bay Lodge and how we impact their lives. It is a great honor to be on someones “bucket list”... and very sad to lose a friend.

Our time is too short and I hope everyone can find ways to relax and enjoy quality time with Family and Friends, here or any place.

….

Fishing has been bouncing up and down more the past couple weeks... but we had about a three week run of the fish were just biting!

Kakagi (Crow) Lake has been running 65-70 degrees recently.... decent for swimming on warm days.... not much of a fall cool down yet.

Walleye – seem to be biting decent, but only an occasional group after walleyes recently... guests have been finding them near Hay Island and Miles Bay on Lake of the Woods. Best was about 5 pounds.

Northern Pike – I spent a day on LOTW Whitefish Bay last week... we caught near 40 fish casting... but all the exciting Pike action came from a Kakagi and Jessie Lake. I was in the boat for a ~20lb deep bellied Northern Pike on Kakagi and second from Jessie Lake. I have caught and seen bunches of 36-39 Pike but nothing like these which looked proportioned short and very deep bellied. Kakagi action also featured a double on ~28” Pike and me unhooking and holding both of the fish (I didn't catch either one).

Muskie - casually Musky anglers were seeing plenty and a few mid forty inch ranged fish being caught... weedy saddles between islands have been very consistent for holding Muskies. More serious Muskie anglers came for a short week this week and they struggled to catch about 10.... with no upper 40" Muskies caught. Not sure if they are moving to a fall pattern yet or not.... a few more Muskie group expected later in the year.

Bass – everyone catching plenty of Bass... casting, trolling, live bait, jigging, fly rod... everything working. Jessie, South Narrows and Kakagi have all been good for bass in the past couple weeks... biggest have been in the 3-5 pound range, which is very respectable. A couple of the guests including a high school aged girl decided to put on a fishing clinic on the docks... wow... I did not know we had that many nice bass at the docks and for sure don't understand why those fish don't cooperate for others. :-)

Lake Trout – Occasional slowdowns to the bite.... but then a feed will follow and it gets exciting in a hurry. I caught 11 and lost 4 in 6 hours of fishing the last couple days... smallest was 5 pounds and biggest were three ten pound Lakers. Last month of Lake Trout fishing for the season and September is usually a good month for quantity of Lake Trout and a good month some of the biggest.

Starting to close up some of the cabins but planning to have 2-3 cabins open until November.

Regards,