www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Grass Carp in Kinzua?????????? HELP!!!!

Default Grass Carp in Kinzua?????????? HELP!!!!

OKay, took my boy bowfishing today which started out in the river which was muddy. Ended up seeing a bowfin there which is cool. Few carp shots but no connection.
    We decided to stop in at Sugar Bay on the way home. I know I missed the spawn but maybe I can get my boy a carp after all. Long story shot he is in the middle of taking a piss and this monster grass carp comes out from under some grass. I've never seen one or anything this size in Kinzua. This fish was way bigger that any muskie I've ever had up to the boat. My guess is a 60" plus fish. I've boated a sturgeon that was 69" once and several saltwater fish up to 6 feet long. Many many muskies over 4 feet. This was a huge fish!
    I just pulled up and shot and hit it. I was going nuts then I get it beside the boat. I am trying to get my hand under it's gill plate to bring it in the boat. It takes off again going crazy and the arrow comes out of it and it's leaving. My boy pops a shot at it and missed it. I never got another chance to shoot again.
    What the heck is that doing in there?????
    Has anyone else ever seen one???
    It is crazy, That is one big dang fish!
    I am just sick about loosing it. Can't believe I didn't have him shoot it a second time when we had a chance.

"Grass" carp ?? or just a big ass ol' 'common' carp?
    Grass carp is a herbivore. I doubt the Zoo could support them ( well, this year maybe!), I'm no biologist, barely a hi school grad. But I think "Grass" carp are an invasive species & I dunno if they're in this water system. But maybe....

Fished allegheny river, susquehanna, detroit,st. james, niagara, and st. lawrence rivers.
    Lake ontario, erie, and tons of inland lakes in many states. This was not a big common carp. This was for sure an invasive species and I am about 95% sure that is a grass carp. Yes, I have seen some giants in my travels but nothing like this.
    There was a dispute a few years back about a record Grass Carp shot on Erie with a bow and a fight about if it should be counted towards a record. A friend of mine knew the guy and told me about it so I had done a little research and had an idea of what it looked like. Soon as I got home I pulled up some pictures of them to refresh my memory and pretty darn sure it is or was one. Hopefully it dies from the shot wound and floats up. I'd love to hear someone finds the darn thing and reports it somewhere and I find out about it.
    The whole face/mouth/head is totally differnet than a normal carp.

Very well could have been. There was a decent size one caught in the northern part of the susquehanna earlier this year. Dealers that sell them can only sell sterile fish. Here was the one from the Northern part of the susquehanna earlier this year.

Attachment 22532

Exactly what we shot. Has a totally different mouth than normal carp.
    Still burns me we didn't shoot it a second time so it didn't get away.
    Shouldn't even be allowed to sell them. Can't really pick when and where floods happen allowing these and other species to get into our lakes and streams.

the last time i was at the dam for a visit with family we saw what i believe were carp from on top of the dam that looked like they were easily 5 feet long. i wonder if they were grass carp.