www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Took boat in for normal service appointment this week and...........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Took boat in for normal service appointment this week and...........

then got the phone call that we all hate to hear. 4 of 6 cylinders were shot which means a new power head has been ordered for my OptiMax. It is suppose to be up and running by the 12th. The silver lining is that the river has been too high to guide anyway, I suppose.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Did it have any symptoms? 4 out of 6 bad...shoulda been hard starting at least...

Yes, that was the red flag. It would take 2-3 cranks to get her fired up but the first thing in the morning she would fire up on the first crank. I was thinking injectors or bad gas or something else besides cylinders but after 700 hours, I am not surprised. It will be my first boat that needs a 2nd break-in period.

Gonna go up to the Zoo with Charlie and pre-fish a few days next week.
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Charlie..kool dude to say the least..tell him "Homer" says hi. Tons of fun going with Him & Doug...

I was on the zoo Monday..still kinda dirty, prolly moreso now....

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with the power plant. Can't bring myself to own a Mercury, just about everyone I know that owns one has trouble. Just about every "Lake boat" I like is partners with Mercury though. Hope you are up and running like new. Tell Charlie we said HI !

Will do, Bob. Tell Wendy I said hello as well. I am getting restless waiting around to get back on the water. I even resorted to scrubbing bugs and tar off my truck yesterday to fill the time! The day before was "bulldawg/shallow invader restoration day" with my trusty bottle of Mend-It.

I had looked at the 160 Yamaha sport jet but it just was not enough power/speed to do what I need to do around here. I really do like the gas mileage to power ratio of the OptiMax. I did run the crap out of that engine over the past 6 years and had hoped to get 900 hours out of her. If only that boat came with a 200 Yamaha or Etec.........
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress