www.lakegenevacannery.com

View Poll Results: What's your favorite jig on the TFF?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reeves

4 50.00%
  • ISG Slowfall

4 50.00%
  • Other (please note in comments)

0 0%
  • I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you

0 0%

Thread: Favorite weed less jigs?

Default Favorite weed less jigs?

Just curious to see where the numbers fall. Thanks!

Although I like the weed guard on the Reeves jigs, I still prefer the Slo-Falls for vertical jigging because of their shape. I typically use them for perch, with one of the micro PowerBait plastics, and I trim off some of the fibers and shorten the rest so they don't obstruct the hook as much. For casting and retrieving, I usually use a Northland Weed Weasel if I'm fishing a tail with built-in action. I like the heavier hook and the front-mounted eye seems to get hung up less. With Gulp minnows, I've had a lot of luck with a Northland Whistler - the little propeller seems to give it added attraction and the plastic sheath on the hook holds the baits on pretty well. But you have to make sure you don't push the bait on too far, or it will keep the propeller from spinning.

Our crew has been using the Weed Weasel for years.....1/16 and 1/8 oz. primarily; if it's deeper water and windy, then we'll switch to 1/4oz. I do like the weed guard on the WW. Most popular color for us is pumpkin, chartreuse and chartreuse/orange combo.

I do like the Reeves weedless because of the lighter gauge hook....will straighten out easier when hung up on wood.

Well,,,,,,, if the water level on the TFF came up this past week, it's because of the # of weedless jigs I left there, of all 3 brands mentioned. My practical side likes the Weed Weasels because the cost/jig is less buying them at Fleet Farm, but I'm convinced the stiff weed guard is costing me fish. The Slo-Fall is my favorite, but like Blue mentioned, the fibers need to be trimmed back. Still not convinced that I like the metal guard on the Reeves, but Don P sure does catch a lot of fish with them.

HRG

I do the same thing Blue does with the Slo-Falls with one addition...I fan the weed guard out some. I think it makes the jig a little more weedless without making it fishless. Whether it does or not...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    George

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.