It has been a great opening weekend. Nearly all of our guests are taking home their limit of six Walleyes and many tasty meals have been enjoyed. For the rest of the week there will be a lot of catch and release Walleye fishing. Ten of our eleven cabins were full this year for opening week but we have a 4-bedroom cabin open. I sure wish a group of six anglers would call and book that cabin for 2015.

Fun? Hard to describe it! Thirteen year old Scott Saudinaitis of Elk River, Minnesota broke Oak Haven's record for Walleyes landed from our docks in a single day. Myself, Scott's Dad and another ten guys or so, watched as Scott landed 13 Walleyes in the 14-19 inch range while casting from our docks on Mother's Day. That's what I said - 13 Walleyes caught by one young man, from our docks, in one day. That's a modern day record at Oak Haven. Since Scott's performance, the rest of us, including Debbie and I, followed his lead and enjoyed landing many more Walleyes from the Oak Haven docks. At least 25 Walleyes were caught from our docks in total on Mother's Day alone. My sweet wife Debbie caught four! Another dozen or so were caught from the docks yesterday by various guests. Scott and his Dad left this morning, now there's adults on the docks where Scott was! It's pretty cool. I can say today that I've caught eight Walleyes and I haven't been in a boat yet!

A year ago we had anglers catching several bigger Walleyes in the 25-29 inch range. This opener we've seen hundreds in the 14-19 inch range and a few dozen in the 19-24 inch range. A couple of "big followers" were reported. Our guests largest so far in three days is 23 1/2 inches, caught by Steve Houliston. But it's only Tuesday. Monster Walleyes could be scored any day now.

The guys in the boats? At least 500 Walleyes were landed by our guests in the last three days. Everyone is taking home their six Walleye limit. Many anglers have their six in the freezer and can now play catch and release for four more days. Perfect!

The six guys that were in Cabin #8 left this morning, returning to their homes in the Mpls/SP area. They had their 36 take-home Walleyes with them and said they released another hundred or more. They were here three days.

Remember, ice on the lakes is a Non-Factor at Oak Haven. Several boat owners who were staying at a resort on Cass Lake, came here opening day to launch and fish here because "the ice on Cass Lake blew up against their dock/ramp." Ten of our eleven cabins are filled every opening week with returning guests, who have no concerns about ice on the lakes.

The Walleye bite is great right now. I can't make that any more clear. We have cabins available from May 17 until June 14. Stay in a good clean cabin, in a great area, where the Walleyes are biting.

We have had shiner minnows for our registered guests for fours days now and still have a bunch.

Cabins available now. Please call Toll Free 1-877-860-9948.