www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Possesion limit clarification?

Default Possesion limit clarification?

Scott,
    Understand from Jeff Robl yesterday that there has been a clarification from the DNR regarding the in-possesion limit? He explains that even for cabins located on the TFF, a person can have 10 in the freezer (per licensed person), is this documented somewhere?

Thanks, HRG

I talked to a DNR agent just a few weeks ago, and as a camper, he told me we could have a max of 4 walleyes in possession for every licensed fisherman. But, you may never under any circumstances have more than your limit in your boat, the extra fish must be cleaned and bagged on the campsite. I wouldnt imagine it would be different from campers to cabin renters, but could be wrong.

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

The daily bag limit for walleyes is 2 per day. The possession limit for walleyes is 10. Any fish over 2 per day must be cleaned and packaged. I spoke with the Mercer DNR fisheries biologist about this last week to confirm it.

So if I buy a lic. on Mon. and today is Tues. You are telling me I can have 10 fish in the freezer bagged and tagged. Im not sure of that.And you may check on not being able to cull the fish in the live well. Just trying to make sure no one gets popped for a minor infraction. Wet lines all

The phone number for Mercer DNR office is 715-476-2240. The DNR website also has an interactive section to post rule questions.

Default Possession Limit

The possession limit for people in a cabin is the same as the state wide limit (daily limit of 5 x 2) which is 10 per person. If you are camping and not in a cabin with a freezer, the possession is probably 4 (daily TFF limit of 2 x 2). Since all the fish you are in possession of while camping were caught on the TFF, it makes sense that the TFF limit would apply.

BUT, this is not official - just me using common sense.

Scott:

I certainly don't disagree with your general statement and with all due respect... But I am concerned that in general, in my understanding, that daily is 2, then possession on the TFF is 4 during your stay. Now the only case that would allow me to keep ten (10) is that you were/are catching the other 6 walleyes from waters other than the TFF and keeping those in your cabin.

With all due respect to everyone, I have an email from Lawrence Eslinger, WDNR fisheries biologist from the Mercer DNR office, confirming the possession limit for walleye caught on the TFF is 10 per person. The daily bag limit for walleye caught on the TFF is 2 per person. This is presuming that you are not fishing any other body of water. He also advised me that conservation wardens will use their discretion in enforcing the possession limit rule (e.g. fish stored in a cooler at a campsite as compared to fish stored in a freezer at a cabin). As a courtesy, I spent the time getting this information confirmed and conveying it to everyone, as the question comes up every year. I am happy to do this; however, I am not going to debate the rule and will not post on this topic anymore this year. I have given everyone the DNR contact information if they wish to take the time to check the rules for themselves or get further clarification of a rule.

Enjoy your time on the TFF and I hope to see everyone on the water.
    Last edited by Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC; 05-14-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Default Possession Limit

The possession limit statewide is 10 walleye. 5 per day x 2. It does not matter where you are staying....if you are in a cabin on shore. Reason being - how could a DNR Game Warden prove the fish were caught on a body of water with a 2 fish limit. You may have taken a ride and caught a bunch of fish on another bady of water. I went over this last year with a Game Warden.

Now if you camping, I would assume the possession limit is the daily limit on that body of water x 2. At the TFF, that would mean in a cabin on shore with a freezer, the possession limit is 10. Camping, the possession limit is 4.

I just hope that everyone thinks about there individual situation if you camp on Mon. and Tues. I don't think you can have 10 walleye on Tues. night,and Rickie then you got a lot of splaining to do.And what is the whole thing about culling.

Scott,
    Thank you for taking the time to post the contact information.

Seems like a local couple didn't understand the limits either. Wonder what the fine turned out to be, any idea if they lost their fishing privledges?

HRG

Attachment 21990

Hot Runr Guy: I have no idea of their penalties. Is that from WI Outdoor News?

Quote Originally Posted by Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC View Post
    Hot Runr Guy: I have no idea of their penalties. Is that from WI Outdoor News?
    Yes sir, here is the page I found. http://www.outdoornews.com/March-201...rch-21st-2014/

HRG

Or you could slightly go over the possession limit by only 1,600 fish as this guy did:

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2014/05/...ver-the-limit/