www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Shop will be closed for a while

Default Shop will be closed for a while

It's great to see that the bay south of Gladstone has mostly opened up, and the ice on the upper bay is looking pretty rotten. Hopefully it will be gone before the walleye opener. Some great spring perch fishing is just around the corner.

Unfortunately, I will be missing out on much of our early season fishing this year. I've been dealing with ulcerative colitis for many years, and along with that, an increased cancer risk. Well, the odds finally caught up with me, and my latest colonoscopy came back with a positive cancer result. So I'm off to the University of Michigan to start treatment. It's still early in the process, and about all I know is that it has not spread to any other organs, so that's a huge weight off my shoulders.

The shop will be closed at least through May 5th. Best to give us a call after that to see if we are open. We will certainly be back before walleye opener.

Wish me luck, and I hope to be slinging bait and telling fishing stories with you all again, soon.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Bait and Tackle Everything you need to fish the Bays de Noc.
    Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Best minnow counts on the bay.
    Voted best bait shop on Little Bay de Noc
    current hours - Every day 7 to 5
    http://baydenoc.com/bayviewsports/

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Good Luck Chris, And God Bless You! my prayers are with you and your family. I know in my heart there are alot of people also praying for you!! take care and we'll see you on the water soon

Good Luck Chris!

Hey Chris, Just another damn bump in da road!!! Do what they tell ya (within reason) and your in good hands. Glad your catching it early and good news on your other tests.
    Take care,Good luck , and we'll be praying............and it won't be to the Fish Gods this time!!!
    Slammer!!!

Best of luck Chris! We'll all be pulling for a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing you at the shop.

Good luck Chris...
    When Hell freezes over, I'll ice fish that too!

Good luck chris, we will see you in a few weeks.

Thumbs up

Well folks, we are back. Everything went well downstate. Met with a bunch of doctors on Thursday and was bombarded with a lot of information. The main thing we took away from all of these consults was that my cancer is very curable, and by this fall, I should be cancer free and cured of my ulcerative colitis.

Diane and I would like to thank all of you that have offered your support. When you first hear the "C word" mentioned, you automatically start thinking of the worst case scenarios. Many of you have shared with me your own cancer survival stories, and it has been a huge boost to my confidence in fighting this thing. The overwhelming show of support and generosity from the local fishing community has been a very humbling experience for us. I really don't know what to say other than a huge, heartfelt "Thank you," and I will do my best to pay it forward in the future.
    CHRIS WAHL

Bay View Motel A great place to stay near the bay. Give them a call for room rates and availability http://www.bayview-motel.com

Chris that is fantastic news. Today is Cinco de Mayo and is also my Birthday. You just made my day with that news. Was thinking about you every time I drive by the shop and was hoping things were going your way.
    I've been in the medical profession all my adult life and there is so much that can be done nowadays.
    Been through it in our family a few times and so far we're all here.
    Again, great news and very happy for you!!!
    Slammer!!!

Chris,
    Congratulations! Sometimes life is funny, and sometimes life isn't too funny at all. I wish you the very best in the future and sincerely hope the best for you. I consider all of us lucky to have such intruiging fishing opportunities on the Bays. If we can live a full life to enjoy it, all the better!!! You take care of yourself... I'm sure I speak for many when I say that we all want to see you in good health and enjoy some more fishing as well as life itself.

Thanks for the support guys. Meeting with an oncologist this week to set up my chemo and radiation schedule. Hope to get started with that, soon.

I really appreciate all the well wishes, but I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread. Initial post was just to let folks know why we were closed. Time to get back to what this site is for - fishing reports and information.
    CHRIS WAHL