www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Island Lake

Default Island Lake

TFF experts,

Every now and then in the off-season, I glance at my map of the TFF and dream about summer adventures. I am a fisherman, but a canoeist mostly. The TFF represents an almost-boundary waters that is much closer to home. Now and then, my attention falls on the small lake off the SE corner of the TFF that my maps label "Island Lake." Getting to the lake would be an adventure, but it does appear that the land all falls within DNR ownership. Does anyone ever venture out to the place? Are there fish in it? I am guessing that the creek that connects the two lakes is impassable, but I would love to hear if anyone has attempted it. There appears to be a dnr service road to the campsites down there that could aid in a portage attempt.

Anybody know?

thanks!

Yodel3,

I am not an expert, but have lived on the TFF in Springstead for the past 15 years. From what I have heard locally, Island lake is about 50 acres, very shallow and weedy. Max depth is around 5' and it probably has a significant winter kill of fish.

Several years back I did try to navigate up the small bay north/east of campsite R-15 in a 14' boat and did not make it very far. This was in mid-summer when the water was starting to go down.

If you are looking for an adventure, you may be able to paddle a canoe/kayak up Otter/Island Creek early in the year when water level is up, but I would not take the trip to find new fishing spots. The closest campsite is R-15. I am not aware of any DNR road that allows public access to that part of the TFF.

Tight Lines,

Tom502

Hi Tom 502,
    I have portaged to Island Lake,Grant Lake, and little Grant Lake from the TFF. No fish in Island lake,just dead debris in about 5 feet of water. Grant Lake took us up over 9 beaver dams to get there. Fishinf was non-stop until a private owner told us to leave NOW. We kept our
    fish and went back down to the TFF. All the decals were gone from the boats sides from the narrow creek and brush. Sooo----- go do it,
    but get ready to get kicked out, since it was a private lake {I guess|
    Tom N.

Quote Originally Posted by ol'wildcat View Post
    Hi Tom 502,
    I have portaged to Island Lake,Grant Lake, and little Grant Lake from the TFF. No fish in Island lake,just dead debris in about 5 feet of water. Grant Lake took us up over 9 beaver dams to get there. Fishinf was non-stop until a private owner told us to leave NOW. We kept our
    fish and went back down to the TFF. All the decals were gone from the boats sides from the narrow creek and brush. Sooo----- go do it,
    but get ready to get kicked out, since it was a private lake {I guess|
    Tom N.
    Now that sounds like an adventure. My understanding is that there is no such thing as a "private lake," only lakes surrounded by private land. Wouldn't a lake be like a river? If you can access it by water, always "keeping your feet wet" you are legal??

Anyone know for sure? It would be good to know one way or the other ahead of time.

Thanks for the info Tom.

According to public domain, provided you can get to it via wet feet, it is public... But I know my brother looked up to see a shotgun in the owner's hand while trout fishing in SW WI. I know that some of these lakes have caretakers who have shot trap over the offending watercraft and now they actually take video of your trespassing, which they will use in court if it gets that far... So be careful and remember ignorance doesn't let you off da hook in a court of law...

Mark

Not interested in trespassing. I have no desire to and wouldn't.

That does not mean that intimidation would prevent me from exercising my rights if the law is on my side. After reading the Wisconsin Water Laws publication ( http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/g3622.pdf ) It would seem that any stream that can float a canoe at any time of the year is "navigable" and any stream that is "navigable" is public if connected to public water or land.

Beaver dams raise a question, but I would think going over the top instead of around would still keep you legal...