www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Reel question

Default Reel question

Looking for a new reel for a new 9' rod that I got from Santa. I have a Revo Toro winch on my other rod for double 10's. Looking for suggestions, I plan to use it as my other reel for general stuff. I am looking for something with a nice line pick up for big bulldogs.

Thanks! It's getting warmer!

I sued the new Revo Toro NaCl last year and love it. That reel held up better than any I've used ever. There are two gear ratios; 5:4:1 and 6:4:1. Get the 6:4:1 for Bulldawgs. You wont be disappointed.

If you don't get that reel, there are a few others out there that are good. The Tranx is really heavy but a good real. I know when I'm casting Bulldawgs all day the last thing I want to do is add more weight to my rod. That new Lexa is supposed to be really good but I haven't tried it yet. Stay away from the new Calcutta D.
    Ty Sennett Muskie Fishing Guide Service
    & Sennett Musky Tackle Company
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843
    Land Phone: 715-462-9403
    Cell Phone: 612-839-1227
    Web Site: http://www.tysennett.com

I sued the new Revo Toro NaCl last year and love it. That reel held up better than any I've used ever. There are two gear ratios; 5:4:1 and 6:4:1. Get the 6:4:1 for Bulldawgs. You wont be disappointed.

If you don't get that reel, there are a few others out there that are good. The Tranx is really heavy but a good real. I know when I'm casting Bulldawgs all day the last thing I want to do is add more weight to my rod. That new Lexa is supposed to be really good but I haven't tried it yet. Stay away from the new Calcutta D.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Ty,
    It's interesting that you say stay away from the Calcutta D series. I'm curious why you say that. I know they have a disengaging levelwind (doesn't move back and forth on the cast) and a narrow spool - two things I'm not crazy about in a musky reel but I have no experience with the D's. I just talked to another guy that said he likes his Calcutta B better than the D also.

I've been tempted to sell some stuff and save some money for a 400D, but not sure sure that's the way to go.

The NACL seems to be a favorite of many and I ordered one for my wife to use this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does.

Tucker

The disengaging level wind is one big reason as I think long casts are more important now than they were years ago. The bigger and louder the boat the farther a cast should be. That being said, the levelwind isn't the factor that bothers me as much as the breakdown of the reel itself. There is a main shaft bearing that is missing that will break down this year in most of the purchases last year. you can't reel Cowgirls or any bucktial with that reel and have any kind of longevity due to the missing bearing to balance out the main gear shaft and handle. They may replace that this year but I'm not sure there is room for an extra bearing.
    8914 N. Conner Lane
    Hayward, WI 54843

Thanks for your reply Ty. Interesting they'd make decisions like that on a premium priced reel. One would think (or hope, rather) that there was a reason for it besides cost...