www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Out

Looking at the ten day forecast for that area maybe there is a chance?

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Cool

Well boys and girls, here is the TFF report as of Apri 6, 2014:

The bad news: We received 12" of snow during Friday's storm and there was snowmobiling on the Lake Bastine up the Turtle River on Sat. (4-5-14).

The good news: Temps were in the upper 40s on Sat. (4-5-14) and lower 50s on Sun. (4-6-14).

The snow and ice are melting!

Our neighbor at Flambeau Vista, Jim Blum, has agreed to be the "ice-out official." I asked him on Sat. if he would accept these official and very important duties to which he agreed. He stopped by FV2 today to say he woke up this morning when "nature called" and we still had ice. He is only 3 cabins from us and taking these duties quite seriously! LOL He claims that he will sleep on his deck bench to get us the most accurate "ice out" time! LOL He is a great neighbor and friend.

The fox and crows are on the move near our cabins. Canada geese were flying North.

Most importantly, some open water is being reported on Trude Lake and there was a very dark area of ice emerging on Lake Bastine in front of our cabins.

Keep the warm thoughts coming or at least your hair dryers with an extension cord! Melt..melt..melt!

Cool Ice-Out Contest Rules

This years "Ice-Out Contest" rules are that all guesses must be in by 7:00 pm CDT on Friday, April 18th, 2014. The guess closest to ice-out with time and date without going over wins. The winner will receive a book of raffle tickets (3 chances) in the TFFA's Summer raffle for a pair of adirondeck fish chairs (3 pairs) or a 1/2 day guided fishing trip with either Guide Bobby Orr or Guide Jeff Robl, so a total of 5 prizes.

If any one would like to just buy a book of tickets, they are 3 for $5 and sold at most local TFFA businesses such as Donners Bay, Midway, Hideaway, Gateway, Dear Lodge, Camp 1 and Sunken Horse Saloon.

See www.turtleflambeauflowage.com for more details along with lodging, food and guide info for the TFF.

Wait a minute
    If Tinyfisherman is retired does that mean no "Name That Spot" Photos?

I think the ice will go out April 28th at 11 am.

The Tiny Fisherman used to post pictures for "Name that Spot" starting the day after the game fish season closed. Since that was over a month ago, I am assuming the "Name that Spot" tradition is over unless someone else decides to continue it. If we only had a photographer frequent this site....hint...hint.

4/30/14 6 pm

I would, Scott, but I have three photo sharing sites and two Facebook groups to keep up with and it's already more than I can handle.

Well on page 1 I picked april 30th and I will add the time of 2pm.It looks like things are melting fast. Scott I talked to Marryann from Lakeview and she said she would keep her eyes out and help out, she also said we should get together with you when we come up .,best to all keep us posted

April 28th at 3pm.

HRG

Blue: We understand, but maybe you could treat us to a couple of brain teaser pictures before opener.

Sureshot: I talked with Mary Ann at the TFFA meeting last night. Her computer crashed, so she is going to call me with updates that I will post.

Temps were in the upper 50s today with a strong south wind. Some rain is predicted for the weekend. A friend told me that she heard a loon call on the Flambeau River, but did not see it. Swans, Canada Geese and many varieties of ducks are on the open stretches of the Flambeau River waiting for the lakes to open.

Red face Ice Out.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRanger View Post
    Anybody ready to start the annual guessing game yet?
    I will say the ice will be gone May tenth, we have open water early this week already in the southern part of the state and it went quick . Weird weather winter this year. I thought the ice would never go and it went really quick this year. Glad to see some open water.

Looks like the snow depth is about half what it was a week ago...

We had rain last night and this morning. The sun is shining now and temps in the upper 50s are forecasted for today. Tomorrow's forecast calls for more rain and temps in the 50s too: however, a cool down is forecast for next week with a chance of snow.

I saw a loon on the Flambeau River yesterday, so there is hope.

My guess is April 25 at 9:30 PM

Flambeau trail has got to give this ice out date another try. Last year my guru gave me bad advice so I missed it. I fired that guru and got a new one. He said the ice will out at 3:20 P.M. On April 31 st. I called him back and said hea there only 30 days in April. He said not in his calendar. Anyway he said it would be out at 3:20 P.M. on May 1st. on our calendar. So I,m going with date. Sure looking forward to the opener. Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by Flambeau Vista Retreat LLC View Post
    Given that the official "ice out" will be also based on time as well as date, we need someone who is on the TFF throughout the day. I will see if Flambeau Fluffy is willing to call me with it; otherwise, I'll see if Cry of the Loon or Lodge of Lakeview will do it. I'll be seeing them at Tuesday night's TFFA meeting. The present temp is 46 degrees..melt..melt...melt!
    Hey Scott, we have and had internet, only too busy trying to do chores to check in. We'll more than happy to let you know when ice is out. Fluffy has to keep her Big Book of Records updated anyway.

Getting some rain, temps in the 30's and more snow no the way. Had 29 inches of ice and about a foot of hard pack on top of that. The auger head is in the hole.

Wish for some warm weather, looks like ice fishing again for opener,
    The Tiny Fisherman...<*){{{{><

Lake Superior is breaking up rapidly, and the snowmelt line keeps moving further north. But the weather forecast for next week doesn't look very helpful. Makes it hard to schedule vacation time for Smalliepalooza 2014.

I am hoping the smallies go 6/14 to 6/21

That would be the latest in my memory. Average over the last 15 years has been about May 20, earlier in the warmer areas like Murray's/Bonies Mound and back in the Horseshoe flats.

The Bad News: Today we saw an ATV with 2 adults traveling across Lake Bastine picking up the snowmobile trail markers. We also saw a snowmobile cross the area. Cold temps and snow are forecast for the week.

The Good News: The Sandhill Cranes have returned. There is standing water on the South East corner of Lake Bastine. We have had significant snow melt. The forecast for next weekend is for temps in the 50s.

For those guessing ice out: Please place your guesses during daylight hours. Our "Ice-Out Officials" may be dedicated, but they are not going to sit on the shore with a flashlight!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    My guess is April 25 at 9:30 PM
    Alright, 9:30PM would be after dark. How about the next morning, April 26 at 7:00 AM?

5/5 at Noon
    Matt

5/1 at Noon

Deleted post.
    Last edited by BretRobert1; 04-15-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BretRobert1 View Post
    4/28/14. 3pm.
    I took that date & time on post #45.

HRG

Or more precisely: 3:25 PM on 5-5-14.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
    I took that date & time on post #45.

HRG

Sorry about that, HRG.

I'll revise mine to 4/30/14 @ 3 pm.

To help make sure there aren't any other duplicates going forward, I'll scan through this post and label each poster's guess in one post.

5/2 at 3PM

MarkBenson: 5/2/14 12pm
    Slowburn: 5/1/14 12pm
    mkoeh475: 5/5/14 12pm
    Sureshot612: 4/30/14 2pm
    Flambeauriverman: 5/1/14 3pm
    Flambeau Trail: 5/1/14 3:20pm
    Waldowillie: 5/5/14 3:25pm
    Bartender Jim: 5/4/14 3:30pm
    HRG: 4/28/14 3pm
    luv2brw: 4/28/14 11am
    st.croixkid: 4/30/14 6pm
    Connor: 5/5/14 12pm
    Nick Kanauz 4/5/14 12pm
    The fox: 4/26/14 7am
    Jay & Cade: 5/3/14 3pm
    BretRobert1: 4/30/14 3pm
    firestarter: 5/2/14 3pm

Im not sure if I'm picking up all the posts in the thread. Please add your screen name, date and time if I missed your post.

BretRobert1, well done!

Hey Nick (Kanauz), how's that April 5th guess working out for you?

Hahaha, HRG (not to worry folks, he's family)

Default No guesses here - just a question

I'm not making a guess as to when the ice will be gone. I'm already thinking about rescheduling our trip from mid May to July!

I do have a question. If the ice goes out after opening day, how does the DNR handle spearing? If i'm fishing a shallow water rock bar after dark and the indians want to spear that area, what are my rights? This could easily happen as when we're up there, we are almost always the last boats on the water.

I've already fished through the night and come in after first light.

16" of snow for Butternut tomorrow... can i change my guess?

May 7 at 4:00 PM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast