www.lakegenevacannery.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ice Out

Anybody ready to start the annual guessing game yet?

we are ready i heard its going to be a log hot summer.bring on the rules

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Cool

Well boys and girls, here is the TFF report as of Apri 6, 2014:

The bad news: We received 12" of snow during Friday's storm and there was snowmobiling on the Lake Bastine up the Turtle River on Sat. (4-5-14).

The good news: Temps were in the upper 40s on Sat. (4-5-14) and lower 50s on Sun. (4-6-14).

The snow and ice are melting!

Our neighbor at Flambeau Vista, Jim Blum, has agreed to be the "ice-out official." I asked him on Sat. if he would accept these official and very important duties to which he agreed. He stopped by FV2 today to say he woke up this morning when "nature called" and we still had ice. He is only 3 cabins from us and taking these duties quite seriously! LOL He claims that he will sleep on his deck bench to get us the most accurate "ice out" time! LOL He is a great neighbor and friend.

The fox and crows are on the move near our cabins. Canada geese were flying North.

Most importantly, some open water is being reported on Trude Lake and there was a very dark area of ice emerging on Lake Bastine in front of our cabins.

Keep the warm thoughts coming or at least your hair dryers with an extension cord! Melt..melt..melt!

Well based on the last four years we should be in the early cycle, I have a turkey for the first period starting April 16, so I am going with April 24th... I will modify my date with any other rules placed on this event!!! Good Luck to all!!!

Mark

P.S. If it was next year, I would be going for May 2nd...

I'd just like to arrive the 2nd Saturday in May and NOT face an iced-in bay in front of the cabins,,,,,,

HRG

Attachment 21831

We are gearing up for Memorial Day. Up there last Memorial day and caught a nice Musky and got to watch the Blackhawks at Midway Bar. Like is good

I think the ice will go out April 28th at 11 am.

4/30/14 6 pm

The Tiny Fisherman used to post pictures for "Name that Spot" starting the day after the game fish season closed. Since that was over a month ago, I am assuming the "Name that Spot" tradition is over unless someone else decides to continue it. If we only had a photographer frequent this site....hint...hint.

Wait a minute
    If Tinyfisherman is retired does that mean no "Name That Spot" Photos?

Cool Ice-Out Contest Rules

This years "Ice-Out Contest" rules are that all guesses must be in by 7:00 pm CDT on Friday, April 18th, 2014. The guess closest to ice-out with time and date without going over wins. The winner will receive a book of raffle tickets (3 chances) in the TFFA's Summer raffle for a pair of adirondeck fish chairs (3 pairs) or a 1/2 day guided fishing trip with either Guide Bobby Orr or Guide Jeff Robl, so a total of 5 prizes.

If any one would like to just buy a book of tickets, they are 3 for $5 and sold at most local TFFA businesses such as Donners Bay, Midway, Hideaway, Gateway, Dear Lodge, Camp 1 and Sunken Horse Saloon.

See www.turtleflambeauflowage.com for more details along with lodging, food and guide info for the TFF.

May 8th.at 8:00am

Quote Originally Posted by Loweboy View Post
    May 8th.at 8:00am
    ice out.....May 6th 1:06PM 2014

I see that "WeatherBug" says that it is 57 degrees in Mercer right now!!!! Is that right?

I see that the "WeatherBug" website says it is 57 degrees in mercer right now!!! Is that right?

It is 56 in Minocqua right now... Shoveled some roof and other stuff in a t-shirt!!! It is grand!!! Ice caves tomorrow in the mid thirties, same temp as last time I was up there. Wife wanted to go, so I am going back again to see what might be different!!!

Mark

Hate to do it but
    NOAA / Climate prediction..
    below normal next 3 months.. I'll go with May 5th Noon
    Of course we are not coming up to second weekend so that works for me. I hope I'm wrong for all coming up for the opener and all of the Businesses in the area.

I would, Scott, but I have three photo sharing sites and two Facebook groups to keep up with and it's already more than I can handle.

Since I'm tired of watching it snow....Ice Out is a good game to play right now....So...based on what we have here in Michigan....April 26th....in the afternoon!

I hate to even say it...but I think we will be ice fishing on opening day.
    "Try not! Do, or do not....there is no try."

Blue: We understand, but maybe you could treat us to a couple of brain teaser pictures before opener.

Sureshot: I talked with Mary Ann at the TFFA meeting last night. Her computer crashed, so she is going to call me with updates that I will post.

Temps were in the upper 50s today with a strong south wind. Some rain is predicted for the weekend. A friend told me that she heard a loon call on the Flambeau River, but did not see it. Swans, Canada Geese and many varieties of ducks are on the open stretches of the Flambeau River waiting for the lakes to open.

Drilled a hole yesterday, out a ways from shore. 22" of solid ice. There are shoreline areas that have exposed slush, but there's 22" of solid ice under the slush.

I should have looked at the Excel site before I came up with my date. The TFF is just over 4'down right now, which puts a lot of the areas my brothers fish "empty". Once Shane closes the gates to allow for less water going downstream, the water backing into these areas would raise the ice sheet, creating open water. I high wind day combined with warm temps could certainly hasten breakup. The Chipp has been lowered over 8', which means there's sand in those back bays. With a rapid melt, that ice could really go out quickly in early April. I'd like to change to April 5th, so the 26th is back open. Let me know if that is okay Blue! Thanks!

Sorry, I wasn't volunteering to be in charge, just hadn't seen much activity here for a while and thought it was about time to start talking about spring! 4 feet down isn't abnormal for this time of year, if anything it's high. I have no idea about ice thickness, but it sure was a cold winter up there. So I'm hoping for the best, but the NOAA long-term forecast is calling for continued below-normal temperatures, and I won't be surprised if it's still ice-covered for the first two weekends of the season. But I see BPS is having a big sale this weekend, and if you can't go fishing, buying some new fishing stuff and dreaming about using it is the next best thing!

Looks like the snow depth is about half what it was a week ago...

The ice is getting blacker with areas of open water along the edges of some shorelines. The bay at Donners Bay is mostly slush with some open water at the launch. There are some open pockets where the otters are poking out there heads waiting to raid angler's minnow buckets. LOL Rain is forecast each day this week with lows above freezing, but highs only making it to the mid to upper 40s.

The Flowage is nearly at full pool and the discharge from the dam is close to 3000 cfs.

Well I'm going with april 30th. And since you brought it up Blue i heard that you are going to run it and the prize is going to be you doing a photo shoot with the winner.i will agree it has been a long winter ,I'm back to work on light duty since july. i so need some open water and spring.

We had rain last night and this morning. The sun is shining now and temps in the upper 50s are forecasted for today. Tomorrow's forecast calls for more rain and temps in the 50s too: however, a cool down is forecast for next week with a chance of snow.

I saw a loon on the Flambeau River yesterday, so there is hope.

My guess is April 25 at 9:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    My guess is April 25 at 9:30 PM
    Alright, 9:30PM would be after dark. How about the next morning, April 26 at 7:00 AM?

I am awaiting the official 2014 "ice-out" declaration.

The contenders are:
    mooselegs: 5/6/14 @ 1:06 pm
    Eye-in-mind: 5/7/14 @ 4:00 pm
    Loweboy: 5/8/14 @ 8:00 am

Tom 502 reprted on another site that the Springstead landing is nearly open today, 5/6/14.

Maybe we should start worrying about flooding too! The flowage is coming up like crazy. It appears they opened the gates from 300 cfs to about 3000 cfs, but it's still coming up. yikes

Default Love is in the air

We got about two inches of snow and it's still coming down. At this rate ice out won't happen until mid May.

Speaking of Otters, these two sure are in love,
    The Tiny Fisherman...<*){{{{><

Didn't you hear? I'm only doing artistic nudes now...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRanger View Post
    Didn't you hear? I'm only doing artistic nudes now...
    in that case i am going with 6/30/14!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast