www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice Out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

We were up last weekend to tap maple trees. I went down to the lake and the snow was 4' deep on the ice. My son, who is now about 6' tall could not get to some of the maples because of snow depth. The snow was melting pretty fast on Sunday, but it looks like more snow on Friday. I would bring the tip ups for the Walleye opener.

Its pretty easy for everyone to jump to conclusions about ice fishing on the opener. All it takes is a few warm days with some rain and it will do some serious damage to the ice. We all had our doubts last year and it was out with time to spare. Weather reports dont look too great, but it will be in the mid 50s all next week where im at (southern MN), so its not far away from the TFF!

Quote Originally Posted by byronbears84 View Post
    Its pretty easy for everyone to jump to conclusions about ice fishing on the opener. All it takes is a few warm days with some rain and it will do some serious damage to the ice. We all had our doubts last year and it was out with time to spare. Weather reports dont look too great, but it will be in the mid 50s all next week where im at (southern MN), so its not far away from the TFF!
    I think last year that Flambeau Fluffy declared... " ice out Saturday, May 11, 1013, at 10;30 am (cst)," Not quite "time to spare", not for me anyway as I missed the opener due to ice....

I guess i dont remember it being that long, thought it was out by May. Im sorry! My point is that there is plenty of time for the ice to melt, and nobody has any idea so theres no point in asking when it will ice out!

byron:I think all the global warming will help. I took a look at the webcams in the area and you can't see far due to the BLAST of snow coming down. its going to take more then a few days to open it up .Man at least the forum is coming alive.

Thats alright cause we've got a month yet!

The flowage was not fishable from a boat on opener 2013. I have only missed two in the last 7 years with my friend Mr Pemble. Both due to ice

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

The Bad News: Today we saw an ATV with 2 adults traveling across Lake Bastine picking up the snowmobile trail markers. We also saw a snowmobile cross the area. Cold temps and snow are forecast for the week.

The Good News: The Sandhill Cranes have returned. There is standing water on the South East corner of Lake Bastine. We have had significant snow melt. The forecast for next weekend is for temps in the 50s.

For those guessing ice out: Please place your guesses during daylight hours. Our "Ice-Out Officials" may be dedicated, but they are not going to sit on the shore with a flashlight!!! LOL

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

Cry of the Loon Resort emailed me this message at about 2:00 pm: "For the most part ice is gone on Lake Bastine. The few remaining floes are weak and should be gone within the next few hours."

That would be the latest in my memory. Average over the last 15 years has been about May 20, earlier in the warmer areas like Murray's/Bonies Mound and back in the Horseshoe flats.

Attachment 21931The "official" ice-out time should be soon.