www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: Ice Out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I hope its May 1st 3:00pm. With the late ice out last season our annual 1st week in June musky trip didn't go so well.
    Couldn't find a weed anywhere, no action in the stumps and rocks and with the water temps in the low to mid 50's I think they were
    still spawning. I have read there saying a cold spring and a really hot summer. With all the snow and Ice this winter water levels should be
    higher than normal which could make it harder to find the fish of 10,000 casts too.

Lake Superior is breaking up rapidly, and the snowmelt line keeps moving further north. But the weather forecast for next week doesn't look very helpful. Makes it hard to schedule vacation time for Smalliepalooza 2014.

I am hoping the smallies go 6/14 to 6/21

Turtle-Flambeau Flowage, Butternut,Wisconsin

The shoreline on Lake Bastine is open for about 50 yards. The ice in the center is black with open water pockets.

The old Idle Shores Resort on the south end of the Turtle River has black ice with open pockets, but there is open water to the north towards Pink Rock.

Sportsmans Landing is open for about 150 yards. One boat launched there on Sunday and was fishing the open water.

The walleyes on the north end by Murrays Landing were hitting in 10 - 15 fow on jig and large fathead minnows.

Full ice out shoud be sometime this week.

Just a little note from Don's Guide Service, launched my boat today from Fisherman's landing with no problem as there was no ice to speak of, but coming back after a few hours of fishing it was completely iced in again, all this black ice had drifted in and I had to use my boat as an ice breaker, made an excellent video. All this ice that drifted in should all be gone by morning. Fishing was very good and worth the trouble of breaking through a couple hundred yards of ice.
    Don Pemble