www.lakegenevacannery.com

Thread: New St. Croix Legend-X Fly Rods (Bass/Musky/Pike)

Default New St. Croix Legend-X Fly Rods (Bass/Musky/Pike)

Specifically made for large presentations while chasing larger predators.

http://stcroixrods.com/products/fly-fishing/legend-x/
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

E-mail - RedChildress@gmail.com
    Web Site: http://www.alleghenyguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Childress View Post
    Specifically made for large presentations while chasing larger predators.

http://stcroixrods.com/products/fly-fishing/legend-x/
    Interesting. Curious to see how the synthetic handle is received by the "purist" crowd. I personally don't like the look of the rod but that has little to do with it's fish catching ability. It maybe the greatest thing to be added to a fly rod since single foot guides.....

Funny you would say that because the following product descriptive excerpt was copied verbatim from the Croix site:

"This revolutionary fly rod series is just what the counter-fly-culture crowd has been craving............."
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Oh man, you just HAD to post this on the site, didn't you?!?! LOL I obviously have no need whatsoever for another flryod, but man, this thing looks VERY interesting. I'm really diggin the idea of the handle not being cork. I've had quite a few over the years wear way too fast for my taste. I currently have Echo, Loomis, Cortland and St. Croix in my arsenal. Over the last couple of years, I've gone mainly with the St. Croix Legends. Those things just cast big flies with very little effort and have some serious fish fighting power. The Loomis and Cortland don't have enough backbone for my taste and the Echo Ion is too much like a pool cue for my style. Gonna have to do some research on this new rod. Oh, and probably start saving some money too. LMAO

Hey Jay,

Did you get the PM I sent you last week?
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

Sorry Red, I just got it. Either I haven't been logged in in a few days, or it didn't notify me that I had one. Anyhow, you got mail. LOL

Red, let me know if you get a PM from me. Things seem a little funky and its not showing that I replied to yours this morning. Maybe it takes a while to process??

I did get your pm but had to actually go into my inbox to see if it was there. No notification for me either. I tried to send you one but could not. I am guessing there is some type of site upgrade going on making things a little goofy. Anyway, shoot me an email or text if you want.

redchildress@gmail.com

814-688-2309
    Allegheny Guide Service
    Red Childress

So yeah, of course I had to break down and get one of these rods for the upcoming season. All I can say is WOW. If it kicks as much ass on the water as it looks like it should, these damn toothy critters don't have a chance!! LOL In all seriousness, I really dig the non-traditional vibe on this setup. Visually, it screams apex predator. I will be curious to see how the handle performs one it gets some water and slime on it. Hopefully not too much longer. I'll give some updates along the way once I can finally get some casting in.

Curious if the rod handle is longer than on traditional "musky" fly rods. It seems as such in the online info. I have two rods...an Orvis trident 9 wt and a Cabela's 10 wt. The 10 wt could cast a small animal I think.

I'm not sure about that yet. I'll have to compare it to the other rods and see if it is longer. LOL I know what you mean about the 10wt. I initially started with a couple of 9wts. Once I got a 10wt and spent a day on the water casting, I've never looked back. It just did most of the work for me. However, I also realize at this point, I was still getting used to casting these mammoth flies too. I'm sure I could go back to the 9s without too much of an issue. However, I've had about 4 Musky do things to these 10wts that I don't believe a 9 would have handled. I was waiting to hear the snap and see the rod piece slide into the water. You're pretty much set with those 2 though. One for the smaller flies and the 10 for the big guys and topwater.

Heres a comparison between standard Legend and Legend X grips.

Attachment 21833

I'm definitely diggin the Legend X rod. This thing has a little more spine than the Legend Ultra and can cast with ease. I do like the new grip not being cork so far. I always have a glove on my casting hand, but I'll have to try without one of these days to see how slippery it is once its gets wet. Now, I just need to hook some fish and see how she performs in the true battle.

How's this one....

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/vapen-red/

I like the red/black color and overall look of the rod. I think the next rod I build for myself will have this handle!

Thats a pretty wicked lookin rod too. I'll tell ya, that Legend X has just been rockin it out for me. As I mentioned in the other post, I just landed my first Musky on it over the weekend. The crazy part was that it was on the 8, and that rod just stuck it too that fish. I've lost a handful of fish already on the figure-8 just because its so tough to get a decent hookset on the flyrod that close to the boat. Now, the Musky helped a lot too since it ended up heading directly away from the boat after taking the fly.

That rod just really held up for that kind of close toe to toe battle. Its only one fish and I hope to have many more to see how this things holds up in the long run. So far, its getting an A+ from me.